Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil analysis report - Not so great

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:40 PM
yellowjohn1

Originally Posted by Jbauer
the high levels of iron and the other wear metals are because you ran mobil 1.

Mobil 1 constantly has issues with showing wear metals on oil analysis when brands are switched. even alone, it has high levels of wear metals on analysis. It's a crap oil imo and i have no idea why its become so popular. It's the last oil i'd use on any car.

BTW: i'm surprsied blackstone didnt tell you this..they should know quite well that cars that ran Mobil 1 before show high levels of iron and wear metals when it is switched to another brand.
Can someone else comment on this statement? This is the first time I have ever heard anyone have anything bad to say about Mobil 1. If it is crap then what do you use? Just curious.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 PM
jobeonnet
2nd Gear Member

Heres a good oil study.

http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oi...nst_oils.shtml

Last edited by jobeonnet; 10-25-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Just for the record, I want to submit a little more information. I began running Mobil 1 after a break in period of like 3K miles. I ran Mobil 1 5W20 until 40K miles. I ran (2) 5K mile cycles with the Amsoil 0W20 then began my 10K cycle at 50K miles, so this wasn't the first use of Amsoil after running Mobil 1.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:35 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

Summary: there ain't a damn thing wrong with Mobil 1 oil.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

No , mobil 1 will alot of the times show high wear metals after switching oils.. its just the way its always been. i can prove this quite easily when the OP does another oil analysis.
i've seen UOAs by black stone in which Blackstone Labs actually tells recipients of the UOA that the high wear metals could be linked to the fact that they changed to another oil from Mobil 1.

M1doesnt look better than competition on many UOAs anyway...its over hyped.
i bet i can take a uoa on the Castrol edge im running now and a UOA on M1 right afterwards..im confident the m1 will have more wear metals..just from what ive seen.

i'll take back my statement..mobil 1 isnt crap...but it aint all its cracked up to be either. a lot of hard work went into making m1..its just that its overpriced and doesnt perform as well as its competition.. you want proof? go see UOAs on the same car..compare Mobil 1s wear metals to any other good oil..valvoline, castrol, redline, whatever..

Last edited by Jbauer; 10-25-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 PM
jobeonnet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
Summary: there ain't a damn thing wrong with Mobil 1 oil.
Im with ya bigray, i run mobil 1. Prolly 75% of the people here run mobil one with no oil problems.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:01 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Please stop the insanity! Did you read Goldenpony's statement above? This was his 3rd oil change using amsoil and 20k miles using it at that. You make absolutely no sense.

Where is an oil analysis of your car or are you all talk, spread BS you read, and no action? Did you look at my oil analysis? That's 24k miles using mobil 1 and 12k of it with a blower. Please post these blackstone labs comments you speak of. I'm positive you are taking something out of context.

I feel like i'm taking crazy pills! Mobil 1 is not some magic oil and it's not over hyped IMO. I switched to pennzoil this last change just to see if it lowered the copper/iron, but you want me to believe that it will only go up because of the oil I ran previously? Do you actually read what you type, maybe you're typing it backwards.

Originally Posted by Jbauer
No , mobil 1 will alot of the times show high wear metals after switching oils.. its just the way its always been. i can prove this quite easily when the OP does another oil analysis.
i've seen UOAs by black stone in which Blackstone Labs actually tells recipients of the UOA that the high wear metals could be linked to the fact that they changed to another oil from Mobil 1.

M1doesnt look better than competition on many UOAs anyway...its over hyped.
i bet i can take a uoa on the Castrol edge im running now and a UOA on M1 right afterwards..im confident the m1 will have more wear metals..just from what ive seen.

i'll take back my statement..mobil 1 isnt crap...but it aint all its cracked up to be either. a lot of hard work went into making m1..its just that its overpriced and doesnt perform as well as its competition.. you want proof? go see UOAs on the same car..compare Mobil 1s wear metals to any other good oil..valvoline, castrol, redline, whatever..
Old 10-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

hey bro , go pull some UOAs from bitog or something.
You guys can use what you want.. but Mobil 1 is over hyped and doesnt perform as well as the competition.
I understand you like mobil 1..and i respect that. but the fact of the matter is mobil 1 usually has higher wear metals..especially Iron. you can see this on most any UOA..heck go on BITOG and ask i'm sure you'll learn some stuff there.
I just dont like mobil 1..and many ppl are leaning away from it now..its overpriced and doesnt perform as well as most competition. You can use it if you like..i'm sure it wont cause your engine to blow up..but the UOAs you can find around the internet and even your own testing (do M1 and valvoline for 2 uoas after m1 and see what you get) will drive that point to you.
There will be no more arguing on this topic, understood?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't simply running a motor longer between changes just naturally mean higher wear metal contents? If you run an oil for an extra 5,000 miles and your engine wears at a rate of X particles per time period, you would expect to see more and it still be well within range. Just thinking out loud.

Quick Reply: Oil analysis report - Not so great