Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Dyno Report 9.8:1 vs. 8.7:1 Whipple Tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
it varies in the mid range but up top it's 23-25 degrees. curious what their 100 octane tune would run, I'm guessing it would be more mid range timing than anything.

I'll have to play around and do a log to see what it's doing on a full throttle run from 2000 rpm to redline.
Kenne Bell may say they have 23-25 degrees built in, but really, that's under ideal circumstances.

I predict if you log your car you will see around 18-19 degrees total under WOT in 4th gear. It may peak at 20, but it will finish off in the 17-18 degree range most likely.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Yes.

Low compression with boost is great for a street car that needs to run on pump gas. But if you're after all out power and your car is a 100% dedicated race car, high compression is your friend since you'll be running race fuel any way.

John Mihovetz runs a 281ci mod motor at 11:1 compression with 52 psi at the finish line (yes, 52 psi). His engine makes 9hp per cubic inch. The highest powered mod motors in the world are running high compression and very high boost. Of course, the fuel he has to run is beyond expensive. But it's a race car so big deal.

Another thing, don't let anyone confuse you about the 5.0's high compression and boost. It'll do just fine with a smart tune + TiVCT. These cars will have awesome power out of boost and make a crap load while in boost, but because of how efficient they are, they don't need high boost numbers to make a lot of power. The whipple being designed for it makes 600 bhp at 7 psi. This same blower would probably be at 12+ on a 3v due to the differences in flow characteristics. Don't forget boost is not power and getting hung up on boost psi is missing the point.

Now, if we can ever get to the point where E85 fuel is everywhere, that will be great for high compression high boost street cars. I look forward to this if it ever happens. E85 would be awesome b/c it's a lot cheaper than regular gas and a crap load cheaper than race gas but gives octane ratings like race gas (some of it).
He's probably running on alcohol.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:37 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Kenne Bell may say they have 23-25 degrees built in, but really, that's under ideal circumstances.

I predict if you log your car you will see around 18-19 degrees total under WOT in 4th gear. It may peak at 20, but it will finish off in the 17-18 degree range most likely.
could be, I know I've seen over 20 degrees on my Aeroforce gauges in full boost but I've haven't logged it yet to take a closer look and see what the timing is across the whole RPM range.

honestly I'm not too far away from getting SCT's "pro racer" software setup so I can tweak things myself. my last two cars had full standalone ECU's in them and I miss the control
Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Where can I download the "pro racer" software? Is there a torrent for it?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

the problem is that even if you could somehow find
a cracked copy, it won't run on your pc without a
security USB dongle.

i love my authentic copy though! it's good stuff.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

How much $ did it run?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

last i checked, it was around $349
Old 04-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

That's it? $349 and you can write your own tunes?
Old 04-22-2010, 02:35 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
last i checked, it was around $349
that's what it's priced at on their site, a dealer could be cheaper, I haven't shopped around yet. you need a tuner on top of that price for actually loading the tunes, I already have one with my Kenne Bell kit so I'm all set. it would be sick if you could make live changes like a real standalone ECU or even the modded Honda ECU's let you do that but it must be a limitation with the factory ECU.

on my last two cars I have full standalone ECU's that cost over $1,000 even second hand. to get pretty much the same capabilities for $350 is a deal plus you get factory support if you need it. I guess I'm getting older but I try not to steal everything from the interweb anymore

I just need to call them and ask them some more questions before I purchase the software but so far it's the best thing I've found out there for tuning the car yourself.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I have an XCAL2 right now. This would be pretty sweet if it would let me write and modify my own tunes for my car.

Of course. I'd need a wideband as well.

Quick Reply: Dyno Report 9.8:1 vs. 8.7:1 Whipple Tune