Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

How to: 4.10 install and differential overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:09 PM
cstich08

I edited the backlash specs. Got the info from this website under step 12: http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...And-Pinion.pdf
Old 12-24-2010, 02:35 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I'd have replaced those stock RLCA's and eliminated the wheelhop first, especially before a 4.10 install...

Either way, impressive, but no way in hell I'd attempt it. Easier to pay and not risk it
Old 12-24-2010, 02:44 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
I'd have replaced those stock RLCA's and eliminated the wheelhop first, especially before a 4.10 install...

Either way, impressive, but no way in hell I'd attempt it. Easier to pay and not risk it
Good father/son thing for 17 especially, although I don´t think I´d be inclined to give my kid something with that much power, and then help him upgrade it further to get more at that age. Especially considering I´m close to a darwin award daily with mine at 30something as it is.. I have more traffic tickets then the years of my age.
Judging from this though, he´s probably a lot more mature about it then I would have been. Or more than likely, even now.

I´d have to ask the guy´s at Swarr auto what mine was set to, as I´ve haven´t the foggiest. With 4.10´s I notice no whine, though they did say depending on how it left the factory would be more the cause to it once they were done, as I think it was the camber they mentioned being one of the deciding factors. That and how well I´d baby it for the first few cool-down/heat cycles til it was all worn in.
I did my best to lay off for the first 2-3, seems to have paid off, as I don´t notice anything besides the added power. Well, and the constant need to shift gears, which I actually consider a bonus for me personally. Had it installed now about 2 weeks and this is my only car/daily driver.

Last edited by wayne613; 12-24-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cstich08
I was wrong on the suggested backlash. Looking at the FRPP website, they say backlash is to be between .008" and .012". I'm not sure about your gearset but I'm sure that your fine. The motive gears may be different in terms of backlash spec, but I'm saying that from a completely uninformed perspective and to be honest it doesn't really even make any sense why that would be true.

My backlash ended up at 0.011" which is in spec but it is on the loose side when I look at Ford's site. But it's worked out for me so far. As a bit of a story when I was taking everything apart, I couldn't even get a backlash reading from the factory setup because there was absolutely no pinion bearing preload so if I wiggled the ring gear at all, the pinion turned, so backlash wasn't even measurable. I don't know why I brought it up, but I thought it was interesting. If I had to guess I would say that the backlash was way too loose from the factory.

If someone knows for sure than say so, but I would think that the tighter the backlash, the more likely you are to have whine. does that seem to make sense to anyone else? Brunobluto, did you have an increase in whine after you did your install? Because I have a little bit louder coast, but the drive side is silent. I ask only to see if backlash makes a difference in whine.
I also have a little whine on coast, but pretty quiet on drive side. From my experience, I think improper pinion depth and pinion bearing pre-load causes the majority of whine people have after installing gears. I thought my factory gearset was too loose also, but it was quiet. Getting the pinion depth and bearing preload right can be difficult and is where most gear install mistakes are made, IMO.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:52 PM
cstich08

Originally Posted by baddog671

I've already done the LCAs and pretty much the rest of the suspension. Wheel hop should be the #1 priority on any mustang. It's disgusting how bad it is from the factory.

I also have a little whine on coast, but pretty quiet on drive side. From my experience, I think improper pinion depth and pinion bearing pre-load causes the majority of whine people have after installing gears. I thought my factory gearset was too loose also, but it was quiet. Getting the pinion depth and bearing preload right can be difficult and is where most gear install mistakes are made, IMO.
I guess it is a combination of factors that causes wine. But I agree the factory set was really quiet in my car.

I found pinion depth pretty tricky from a standpoint of it's completely qualitative without the official and very expensive pinion depth tools. It's not like backlash or anything where there is a very specific specification and you have a definite measurement from a relatively inexpensive tool. I scrutinized wear pattern as best I could, but ultimately I was just hoping for the best.

I´d have to ask the guy´s at Swarr auto what mine was set to, as I´ve haven´t the foggiest. With 4.10´s I notice no whine, though they did say depending on how it left the factory would be more the cause to it once they were done, as I think it was the camber they mentioned being one of the deciding factors. That and how well I´d baby it for the first few cool-down/heat cycles til it was all worn in.
I did my best to lay off for the first 2-3, seems to have paid off, as I don´t notice anything besides the added power. Well, and the constant need to shift gears, which I actually consider a bonus for me personally. Had it installed now about 2 weeks and this is my only car/daily driver.
That is something that I need to add in is the break in period. Some people say break in is BS, but I don't see what it hurts. yeah it takes self control, but thats bettern than long term consequences. I drove 15-20 min then let it cool completely before going back out the first few times I drove. And I avoided punching it for the first 500 miles, but you can bet I stepped on it as soon as I saw that 500 miles on the trip computer. One thing that I haven't done that I probably should is change the fluid. I just really haven't felt like doing it yet.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:04 PM
cstich08

I edited the last post to accomodate break in recommendations. Thanks, wayne613 for reminding me
Old 12-25-2010, 12:34 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

damn dude, great friggin' job on the write up lol
Old 12-25-2010, 10:08 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
damn dude, great friggin' job on the write up lol
No kidding.

I'm curious. Which took longer? The write-up or the install?
Old 12-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Fantastic. You have the attention to detail and work ethic that make me believe you are mature enough at your age for a car with that much power. At this point, you're the only person I've ever said that about. On a side note, that old GM video is a fantastic explanation of how a differential works for anyone out there who doesn't already know.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

And for the record, Taco Bill is a great guy with great write-ups, but you could have titled this thread "Taco Bill, Eat your heart out" and there's not much he could say about it, lol.

Quick Reply: How to: 4.10 install and differential overhaul