Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which exhausts don't DRONE

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Default Which exhausts don't DRONE

Thinking about an axle-back exhaust for my 2010 GT. I would do the mod for the sound only - the HP gain, if any, is negligible. The stock exhaust sounds pretty good - really good in fact. But I really like the extra growl from the Borla or Flowmaster Am Thunders. Problem is - I don't want to introduce that dreaded drone effect that so many aftermarket exhausts induce. I've had them before on prior mustangs, and its a pain. Anybody know if there is a sure bet for a product that won't drone? I may just keep it stock..... dunno...
Old 06-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Our S-Tube mufflers provide a sound that has been quoted as "exotic" and proven to not produce any drone. Drone is typically associated with systems that offer the same deep bass sound across all RPM ranges. Our mufflers provide a deep rumble at idle and low RPMs but as throttle position changes they provide a tone that sounds powerful and clean, thus no drone!!

These mufflers are made from scratch in our shop here at SW, all USA components, 304L stainless including the packing material, carry a lifetime warranty and can be custom built to your specs (inlet/outlet, core size & case size)
Old 06-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Grabborange
1st Gear Member

FRPP GTAs don't drone but for some guys they're not loud enough. Corsa's don't drone and sound pretty good but are expensive.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The FRPP GT's (FRPP/Borla Stingers) DO drone around 1600-1800 RPM but they sound so sweet that I don't give a ratz **** about it and neither does my g/f. Case closed for me.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Maine-iac
1st Gear Member

Big difference in sound from stock? I was thinking about the standard Borla not the Stingers. Heard the standard doesn't drone. I cart my kids around in the back, so it will be better for me not to have the dreaded drone.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:14 PM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

Billy Boat doesn't drone, but you won't like the price....
Old 06-10-2011, 02:24 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The FRPP GT's (FRPP/Borla Stingers) DO drone around 1600-1800 RPM but they sound so sweet that I don't give a ratz **** about it and neither does my g/f. Case closed for me.
^^Me Too!!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grabborange
FRPP GTAs don't drone but for some guys they're not loud enough. Corsa's don't drone and sound pretty good but are expensive.
This is correct but I get a lot of comment about how quiet it is, changing to an OR-H once my tune shows up.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I heard a Prius doesnt drone...
Old 06-10-2011, 03:29 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Haven't noticed any drone with the pype violators I put on a few months ago. I get compliments on the sound all the time, might want to give them a shot. A little louder than stock with a good rumble. Pony up a few extra bucks for the polished ones if you get them...they are purty

Quick Reply: Which exhausts don't DRONE