Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Spark Plug Removal Fail

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Default Spark Plug Removal Fail

Looks like it's going to be a long weekend...Followed TSB and let it soak in; still got this. 57k on the odometer. 3 out of 8 coming out good ain't bad I guess.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:59 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Ouch, I *only* broke 3 when I did mine a few months ago & it had 75k on the clock. Took me a while to get it running b/c I attempted it before I purchased the Lisle tool (I figure why spend money if it's not needed). It was nerve-racking using the tool but all of them came out without a hitch. Replaced them with Champion 7989s, 1 piece design so no chance of going through that headache again. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Ford has designed a special tool for the problem they created... imagine that Im at 40k, thinking of taking them out soon.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the support guys! Lisle tool is ordered and being overnighted.
I would go to the Champions but already bought OEM replacements and my eventual plans for the car will allow me to change to the 08+ heads anyways.

Still, it is frustrating!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

The new thread design is better and the Ford Racing heads I am looking at use that design. Those are far off from now though... Have to get my exhaust on and then plan to FRPP Hotrod next summer. What heads are you looking at?

BTW, what parts of the plug are left and where? Is it just the porcelain?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I was looking at the FRPP heads too. That route with Hotrods and LTs will be all I need to smile more.

Oh man, I have one empty tip, one tip with the porcelain, and three whole plugs left (threaded part of the plug just slid right off and left plug in the head). I'll have to use a long needle nose to break those plugs and then the Lisle tool will take care of getting out what's left.

One question: Does anyone know how to vacuum out the cylinder? Or will compressed air blasted in through a small tube really get any porcelain out through the plug holes?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I would imagine you can get away with using an air compressor and spraying it, you could use a narrow vacuum attachment to ensure its clean. Also... if you have a paintball gun running on N2, you can use that. i've used it with extra compressed air parts I have (valve and hose) to clean stuff in place of a compressor.

My performance mods will end with a lot of bolt-ons and I agree I will be all smiles. I am hoping that between the cams, full exhaust, and a tuned intake I can hit 400 crank. Heads make me hope to get to 400 wheel... big increase I know but there is the possibility of a new plenum, deleting the CMP to free up what ever few ponies I can get. Don't see too many full bolt on Mustangs around... Most people go easy way and get a super charger.

I've driven a GT that just had the hotrod cams and muffler deletes and it was one of the most fun driving experiences I've had. Those cams really wake up the mid-range and make power all the way to redline (6,800 rpms on stock internals) and are so responsive. I loved it!

Last edited by JCON; 12-09-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:08 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

at least you didn't warp the heads or crack it.. that would suck

I have the Lisle tool since 08.. very handy when you need it.

I have brisk one step colder plugs now, but the terminal plugs are loose on more than 3 plugs, thus causing a random misfire.. dang it.. be sure to tighten those fawkers!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Oh man, damaging the heads would suck so badly! (But would be an excuse for the FRPP heads.)

Hey stealth, did you have to blow out or vacuum out the cylinders due to any porcilain chunks?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

what year is this common on? is it all the 05-09 or is it just 05-07?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Removal Fail