Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Loudest axleback and/or mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

Default Loudest axleback and/or mufflers

I've had Pypes axle backs on my car for around 3 years now and am looking for either a new axle back system or just mufflers. Don't get me wrong, the Pypes sound great for the money. I'm looking for a set up that is above the average decibel level but doesn't sound like junk. I was extremely close to buying a Roush axle back system but it is just a little bit above my budget. Please give me some opinions as well as any audio clips of what you suggest. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

i have no mufflers, catted x pipe, bbk shorty headers and love the sound...
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Chopsaw78

I really like the JBA's I had on the 08. Great sound, no drone, but when you hit it they really opened up! a few guys in the local mustang club switched from flows to JBA after hearing it.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

if you're gonna do just axle backs go with slps, borlas are too quiet alone but sound great after LTs and Xpipe
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

What pypes axle back do you have now? i have the pype bombs with kooks Lts and a catted x and its loud as ****! But the pype bombs were pretty loud even with the stock H pype. They are muffler deletes, they just have resonated tips to clean up sound a bit. Oh, and there real cheap. I switched from flowmasters to the pype bomb when i first got the car and there was a definitley noticable difference.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

I have Pypes Muffler Deletes and they are loud. Unlike the Pype Bombs, they are not resonated at all. The question is so subjective and your best bet is to listen to as many different setups as you can. I personally want to put mufflers on to tone it down a bit and then do LT headers and high flow cats with probably an H-pipe because I like the sound of an H better than a X.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

You want loud? Just add longtubes and your there. Not enough, add cams. Now your pissing off the neighbors and having cops pull you over. Life is good!!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

cat-delete and full 3" cat back.. i have the maganpack's which are "race" mufflers, straight through design. Pretty darn loud. Couldnt imagine having longtubes
Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 AM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

SLP loudmouths are very loud (muffler deletes). I loved the sound they gave my car but eventually took them off because they were too loud and my girlfriend had made some comments. There is some drone though when at highway speeds, but only for a 5mph band or so.

I have the stock mufflers back on, but am looking to get something else. May just go with flowmasters, I just want the deep throaty sound over volume.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Eventually I'm going to go with the catless Pypes Beast Super System and a set of Hotrods. I don't have neighbors hehehe

Quick Reply: Loudest axleback and/or mufflers