Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
JakeO

Vehicle: 2008 mustang gt
Default Axle back exhaust

I put a new axle back exhaust setup on my 08 mustang gt today. My question to you guys just to see if anybody else has done it is....did yall notice the little nipple on the mid pipe where the cat back clamps it was making my exhaust tip stick way out due to the fact the new mufflers didn't have a slot for the little rivet. So I busted out the ole grinder and ground them off to let the exhaust tip set in a lil further and it looks way better (to me anyways). So any of you fellas done this to?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
JakeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

I've noticed it...it almost appears the pype bombs have the slots for them, but you'd have to angle them something fierce to get it lined up. Never thought of grinding it down, that's a smart idea.

2008 Mustang GT Black/Black - 5 Speed
JLT Series 3 CAI, Bama tunes, MGW Shifter, Pypes Long Tubes, Pypes o/r H, SSS Adrenaline Series Mufflers, Sequentials, 35% Tints, lots more to come.

94 Ranger Ext Cab 4.0 auto 4x4 - Stock for now / Winter and school commuting car.
HxCGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT

So that's the reason why I see people with the pype bombs have their tips stick out so far from the bumper...

I love the sound of those, and I wanted to get them. If that nipple is all it is I am sold as soon as I get my GT/CS rear bumper painted and put on.

Justice to All
TheDutchTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
So that's the reason why I see people with the pype bombs have their tips stick out so far from the bumper...

I love the sound of those, and I wanted to get them. If that nipple is all it is I am sold as soon as I get my GT/CS rear bumper painted and put on.
Mine really don't stick out all too far. You can get them up against the nipple and they look pretty good, I have it so the Pypes lettering is just barely sticking out on the top of the piping.

One word of advice, if you feel like it, buy some better clamps. One is fine, but the other one keeps lowering by about 1/2 an inch and I readjust it every so often. No one else notices it and calls me crazy but I do Otherwise I love them, they're a fantastic axle back!

2008 Mustang GT Black/Black - 5 Speed
JLT Series 3 CAI, Bama tunes, MGW Shifter, Pypes Long Tubes, Pypes o/r H, SSS Adrenaline Series Mufflers, Sequentials, 35% Tints, lots more to come.

94 Ranger Ext Cab 4.0 auto 4x4 - Stock for now / Winter and school commuting car.
HxCGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
JakeO

Vehicle: 2008 mustang gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HxCGuitars View Post

One word of advice, if you feel like it, buy some better clamps. One is fine, but the other one keeps lowering by about 1/2 an inch and I readjust it every so often. No one else notices it and calls me crazy but I do
I just used the stock clamps on mine. They are just held on by a little tac weld to the old exhaust pipe. Mac decided not to send me the clamps with my axle backs.
JakeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

I found the best clamps other than the stock ones are the old school U style clamps. The worst, by far the ones that come with flowmasters. Just throw em away..........horrible garbage.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
scottw2010
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808muscle View Post
I found the best clamps other than the stock ones are the old school U style clamps. The worst, by far the ones that come with flowmasters. Just throw em away..........horrible garbage.
U style for sure. Tried to use FM clamps
Just toss them in the trash.

Sig too large. 250px X 500px max. Admin
scottw2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808muscle View Post
I agree 100%! The included flowmaster clamps are complete garbage, I ordered Pypes clamp kits from LMR after swearing at the included flowmaster "clamps".

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ust-Clamp-Pair
pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
Silvernotgrey

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT DLX

I had good luck with the FM clamps, but my axle back 40s don't line up at all. What do I do?
Silvernotgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

Adjustments are easily made by loosening the midpipe and axleback clamps and then sliding and twisting, both for centering in the cutout and for length. I know of very few instances where grinding has been absolutely necessary.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
adjust, axle, axleback, back, bumper, buy, exhaust, gt500, isnt, lined, muffler, mustang, stick, stock, waste