Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
View Poll Results: Which is the best option to reduse underhood temperatures on a supercharged 3V?
Ceramic-coated exhaust manifolds
22.22%
Ceramic-coated shorties
0%
Ceramic-coated long tube headers
33.33%
You're an idiot, Mike. None of this is worth the bother.
44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Underhood temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I nominate 908SSP for president.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
I nominate 908SSP for president.
I nominate Diabolical.

We have the beginning of the National MF'ing Party of the United States of America.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

We'll need members for Congress.. Young Gun, you're in for your state
Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
We'll need members for Congress.. Young Gun, you're in for your state
Deal. Since the feds pretty much own GM, you'll be the new CEO. I say you start making 69 SS Vinyl Top Camaros again.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Deal. Since the feds pretty much own GM, you'll be the new CEO. I say you start making 69 SS Vinyl Top Camaros again.
Done. if the government is going to run GM might as well start producing cars people want.

On a side note, are we off topic?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
From the thermal standpoint, I would think that ceramic coated exhaust manifold wold be best of the 3 options, whether you have headers or manifold they are all made out of iron, so that's about the same across the line, but the exhaust manifold has the least amount surface area in the engine bay, by having more surface area with the headers, you are letting more of the heat escape into the engin bay than out the back. That said, you may gain more performance with the headers than you lose with intake temps...
so you still may be an idiot... but ceramic coated is better than nothing.
Aftermarket headers (at least my JBA shorties) are made out of stainless steel, not iron.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jba-sh...rs-0509gt.html

Since steel is stronger than iron, the headers are thinner and lighter than the OEM iron manifolds. The ceramic coating on the thinner steel insulates the engine bay and allows the heat to be transferred toward the rear of the car thus reducing the underhood temperatures. The much thinker and heavier iron manifolds soak up the heat and radiate it much like the old fashion radiators that used to heat houses/offices. A ceramic coating on the exterior of the iron manifolds might help a little, but you still have a heat sink that is heated up underneath the coating.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Actually a good coater will coat the inside of the cast iron manifold as well as the outside. This keeps the heat away from the cast iron. In any case the surface area of a cast iron manifold is so much smaller unlike a old style house radiator which was made to have a large surface area. The tube headers surface is many time the surface area of cast iron. I will admit that when the engine is off the tube headers cool faster but again this indicates they give up their heat faster because of the greater surface area. In any case long tubes are a pain in the **** to put on and don't give you much in the way of real hp for the effort and expense. Their biggest advantage is the sound can't get that anywhere else but long tubes. $1000 for set of headers is nearly a third of they way to a SC which gives you some real hp.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:43 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

That's why I bought my ceramic coated JBA shorties for $329 when they were on sale...
Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Mathusula2

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. This is just one of the things I'm planning on doing for the sake of underhood temps. I'm installing a whipple on my GT (the 550 HP kit from Ford Racing) and I'm just trying to be as "safe" as humanly possible, as I know I'm pushing the limit of the stock short block. The other is to install small electric fans on the supercharger heat exchanger for additional cooling, so it's not my only mod, just one of many.

And not knowing any of you I'd still vote for you guys over the current lineup in Washington.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mathusula2
And not knowing any of you I'd still vote for you guys over the current lineup in Washington.
herehere!

Here's what I did, bought a like new condition set of Mac long tubes (actually mid length) and off road Mac ProChamber (with new gaskets and O2 extenders) on Criagslist for $300. Then I sent the barely used (no carbon build up or dings or scratches) headers to get ceramic coated for $140.

Total cost: $440 + $60 total shipping = $500

Shop around, it saves big bucks!

Quick Reply: Underhood temperatures