Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 PM
got2begucci

Question Alternator

Well i hope i am in the right thread. And i could use some help. I have a 2005 Mustang GT 4.6L ... My alternator is going bad and i am going to replace it. I'd like to either get a new rebuilt one or a new high amp output one. Which would be a lot cheaper than going to NAPA or autozone and buying the stock one. The mechanic also said something about it being a single overhead alternator so i want to know if this info is true and that i get the correct alternator. If you could direct me to the right alternator i should get if there is one on ebay or wherever. I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck without spending so much to buy a new one at the auto parts store. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:38 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Not sure exactly how cheap you're wanting to find one O'Reilly has some for under 200.. or you can get this one from AM.. http://www.americanmuscle.com/130amp...or-0509gt.html
Old 09-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Mathusula2

If the 2010 Mustang GT alternator can be used (it is a Denso instead of the motorcraft that you have now), and you are willing to wait a few weeks, I am upgrading my alternator (long story... PM if you really care to hear it) and would be happy to sell you mine for a good price.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
got2begucci

looking to do the ebay route if i can find the correct one for my motor. Someone was telling me that the rebuilt ones are good. i'm not looking to spend over $200 otherwise i would get the one on AM. And as for the other post i dont think your year car would fit mine.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:28 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I'd honestly avoid going through Ebay. If you have a local parts store, use them. You can often get rebuilt ones there, and if something is amiss, it's easy to return/swap. With Ebay, you're shipping it back to the seller, and then waiting to get a new one.

Not sure what your mechanic meant by single, overhead alternator. The cars use a single overhead camshaft setup, and perhaps that is what he was talking about?

Going through a parts store it will be very easy to find the alternator you need. Just need the year, make, model, and engine size for the most part. Parts stores do not usually carry the factory alternator. They are generally reman units by various companies. It's an electronic part, and an integral part of the car, so don't go TOO cheap on it. I'd rather spend $225 and replace it once, than $150, and perhaps replace it again in a few years.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Just compare part numbers with what you find on ebay
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM
got2begucci

so you said orielys got them for under $200? any other recccomendations?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

If possible get the PA one from American Muscle I did about 3 years ago never another problem. Remember you get what you pay for.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM
got2begucci

i'm not spending over $200. i dont have the money available.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by got2begucci
so you said orielys got them for under $200? any other recccomendations?
I prefer O'Reilly for your local neighborhood parts store because I have never had bad service from them and when I have gotten incorrect parts they will fix that error on the spot... Plus they are the only parts store where I live that offers a military discount (may not be beneficial to you) and that makes a huge difference to me on where I spend my money. Not because I want it cheaper but I would prefer to spend my money at a place that has that kind of grattitude.

/rant

Quick Reply: Alternator