Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Another gear question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:51 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Sad day for for street/drag cars when 4.30's are gone. Although I couldn't imagine them. With my terrible 295 rear Toyo tires, tonight I had an SUV hang with me off the line until I got traction (it may have been a Trailblazer SS, it never passed me so I am not sure) because all my tires did was spin. I was pitched a few degrees left as my tires roasted and I was trying to gain traction in first and second... I only have 4.10's
Old 10-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hootie_john
Most of what I've read said that the stock engine is good up to 450 F/I.
Myth perpetuated by M90 owners. Plenty of people running well over 500 with a good tune even if they beat the snot out of these cars. I have literally hundred of passes on my car with over 500 hp and the stock internals are fine.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:06 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Myth perpetuated by M90 owners. Plenty of people running well over 500 with a good tune even if they beat the snot out of these cars. I have literally hundred of passes on my car with over 500 hp and the stock internals are fine.
I hope so! I kind of want stage 3 heads but like if I do a supercharger Im deff gonna do forged internals first
Old 10-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I won't lie, I know I'm on borrowed time with my setup. I'm making over 500rwhp and taking the car down the drag strip several times each month on 13 lbs. of boost. If I last through this season, I'm going to quit trying to break the stock block and buy something built. That said, I'd feel perfectly safe with the Whipple 550 kit on any 3V. That's safe territory as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:21 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
Sad day for for street/drag cars when 4.30's are gone. Although I couldn't imagine them. With my terrible 295 rear Toyo tires, tonight I had an SUV hang with me off the line until I got traction (it may have been a Trailblazer SS, it never passed me so I am not sure) because all my tires did was spin. I was pitched a few degrees left as my tires roasted and I was trying to gain traction in first and second... I only have 4.10's
You can always buy Motive gears
Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
I could also hook up a Honda Civic....
Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by JCON
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...s/viewall.html

Know the limits of stock parts. In this case, running the redline that high would likely cause cam phaser issues. I would consider Comp Cams lock out kit.
Ah HA! Thanks for posting that link. I had seen it before in another thread but could never find it when I wanted to add it to my favorites in the browser.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Good to know Now to start my F/I piggy bank hehe
Old 10-28-2012, 01:17 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Whats wrong with motive gears why are everyone against them? They are american made gears. Is it cuz they whine? isnt any high gear ratio going to?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
Whats wrong with motive gears why are everyone against them? They are american made gears. Is it cuz they whine? isnt any high gear ratio going to?
Nope. Properly installed gears should never whine. Motive gears are apparently more prone to whine than FRPPs based on feedback from the forums. I ran motives in my 95 GT and never had an issue, but I may have gotten lucky. It does seem like a common problem.

Quick Reply: Another gear question