Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

06 Mustang GT Rattle / Clunking from Engine - Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Seabass2020

Default 06 Mustang GT Rattle / Clunking from Engine - Video

On my 06 GT with 160k miles, I'm getting kind of a rattle / wobble / clunk sound coming from the engine. It sounds like it is at the very front of the motor. I can't see anything loose or anything obvious. It only does it at idle, with the Air Conditioning off. With the A/C on, it is virtually gone (although I have heard it once or twice very slightly). Any help or observations would be great!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSH5G7FfBn8
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Seabass2020

Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 PM
Seabass2020

Bump. Anyone heard something like this before?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

If it goes away when you turn on the A/C maybe it's the compressor clutch. That's the only thing that comes to mind.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 AM
The Alien
1st Gear Member

did you try only in neutral or also in drive at idle?

maybe it disappear when the AC is on because the engine has a little bit more load on it.

try to check also in Drive and neutral too
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Seabass2020

Originally Posted by flash_xx
If it goes away when you turn on the A/C maybe it's the compressor clutch. That's the only thing that comes to mind.
Ya that's what I thought too, but I can see the compressor pretty good and I can see it chattering or anything so I was thinking that's probably not it.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Seabass2020

Originally Posted by Seabass2020
Ya that's what I thought too, but I can see the compressor pretty good and I can see it chattering or anything so I was thinking that's probably not it.
*cant see it
Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Seabass2020

Originally Posted by The Alien
did you try only in neutral or also in drive at idle?

maybe it disappear when the AC is on because the engine has a little bit more load on it.

try to check also in Drive and neutral too
It's a manual. This is my thought too though, it has something to do with a small load on the motor. It almost sounds like it might be under the valve cover, but I can't tell. I was also thinking maybe the tensioner but I really can't determine anything
Old 05-23-2013, 11:53 AM
The Alien
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seabass2020
It's a manual.

ups sorry, I supposed it was auto but I forgot there are also serious cars (you lucky, I have an Auto )

ok do this test then, use a long screwdriver (point doesn't matter) or a long steel rod, like a ratchet tool extension. touch the valve cover with one side (the point in case of screwdriver) and put the other side on your ear.

if it's something on that valve bank, you will feel the noise amplified as it's inside your ear.

do the same for the other cover and if you have a long enough rod you can check also on the basement, maybe lifting the car.

Please pay attention to the moving parts, never go too much close to them, it's easy to slip with the tool and have a bad day
Old 05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Seabass2020

Originally Posted by The Alien
ups sorry, I supposed it was auto but I forgot there are also serious cars (you lucky, I have an Auto )

ok do this test then, use a long screwdriver (point doesn't matter) or a long steel rod, like a ratchet tool extension. touch the valve cover with one side (the point in case of screwdriver) and put the other side on your ear.

if it's something on that valve bank, you will feel the noise amplified as it's inside your ear.

do the same for the other cover and if you have a long enough rod you can check also on the basement, maybe lifting the car.

Please pay attention to the moving parts, never go too much close to them, it's easy to slip with the tool and have a bad day
I have tried this before but I will try again. I was hoping that someone would recognize the sound. Thanks for the tip ill see what happens

Quick Reply: 06 Mustang GT Rattle / Clunking from Engine - Video