Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Car approaching 60 000 miles -> new Brake Pads + Rotors, Shock and Struts, Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Post Car approaching 60 000 miles -> new Brake Pads + Rotors, Shock and Struts, Spark Plug

The title says it all. My car is approaching 60 000 miles so I want to change the brakes, shocks and the spark Plugs.

For my future brake, I was thinking :
Hawk HPS Street brake Pads & Brembo Sport Drilled Rotors but these rotors are expensive so I'm wondering if I need the drilled rotors, what do you think? What would be a good other solution?
My Mustang GT 2008 is N/A 3.73 gears, one piece driveshaft, 93 octane tune with CAI, Short throw Shifter Pro 5.0, Pype Bombs, everything else is stock.

For the shock and Struts I was thinking about the Bilstein HD Shock.

Finally the Spark Plugs, what is a good brand (I saw that you can find all kind of price ranges) but like for the brake Rotors I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I don't need.

So far, as maintenance goes, I did :
- change fuel filter
- change gear box oil with synchromax royal purple
Plus the usual (clean CAI, oil change + oil filter every 3000-3500 with mobil 1)
What other maintenance would you recommend?

THanks

I'm probably gonna do the brakes myself but I will let a garage change the spark plugs and the shock and struts.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Brake fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, for plugs if you have brown coils just use OEM. If you have black coils (two piece) be very very careful taking the old ones out.

There is a TSB on how to remove the two piece plugs from the head to avoid breaking a plug. To replace the two piecers, I've had the Champion 7989 single piece in my car for about 40K miles with zero issues.

This is to replace the carppy two piece design.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:20 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I have the crappy two piece design and I replaced them with HT Autolite's and they're great.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:16 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Autolites will work well. What kind of maintenance have you done so far? Def is right add coolant flush, not just drain and fill to your list along with transmission service. Brake and power steering flushes good idea too if they haven't been done in last 20K miles.... when was last fuel filter change?
Old 06-22-2013, 01:46 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Yeah I read a lot about those two part spark plugs that break when you try to take them off so I don't know if I want to take the risk of doing it myself, my mustang being my only car.
Maintenance wise, I change the fuel filter, change the gear box oil for some royal purple synchromax. A garage bleed my clutch. On top of that just the usual oil change and oil filter change every 3000-3500 miles with mobile 1, clean the CAI...
My shocks look like they're getting old so I'm gonna go ahead and replace them as well as the rotors and brake pads like I said.
I had to add some power steering fluid no too long ago but ever since it has been fine. Maybe it is time to flush all these fluids
Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Fuel filter was changed at 47xxx miles.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:51 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Don't forget the belt.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Cabin filter. The only one I haven't seen anyone mention yet. I would leave the coolant of its ok, but that's just me and I'm extremely **** about maintenance on my 06
Old 06-23-2013, 02:27 AM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Cabin filter. The only one I haven't seen anyone mention yet. I would leave the coolant of its ok, but that's just me and I'm extremely **** about maintenance on my 06
That is what I've heard too, if there is no cooling problem, do not touch the coolant, I don't know why
Old 06-23-2013, 08:57 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Don't forget the belt.
If the belt passes the visual check, is it necessary to change?

Quick Reply: Car approaching 60 000 miles -> new Brake Pads + Rotors, Shock and Struts, Spark Plug