Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 4.6L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
Andromeda0876

Vehicle: 2005 Roush Stage 1
Andromeda0876
Default First Mods

Hello all,
I am new to the forums here, and fairly new to the Mustang ownership scene. I'm currently looking around as to what I want to do for my first mods on my bone stock '05 Stage 1. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Steeda CAI/SCT tuner combo, BBK Twin 62 mm Throttle Body, and the Roush short throw all from American Muscle. My other option that I was looking at was the BBK Ceramic long tubes, shorty x-pipe w/ high flow cats, and the Borla Stinger cat back system. My only problem is that I don't really have a way to put on the exhaust myself, so I would have to pay someone to do it (probably looking around the $700-$1000 range), plus the exhaust set up will be almost $1800, and the previous mods for all of them, including the free tunes for life through Bama is around $1300, and I can instal all of that myself in an afternoon. I would just like any opinions and/or suggestions that anyone more experienced than me may have. Thank you for your time.

-Tyler
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Andromeda0876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 4.6 5sp-mt S197 GT

I'm pretty new to the Stang scene myself, I was into Jeeps for a few years then switched to my GT! I'm in the same boat as you. Personally I would do the tuner and CAI for sure, you'll need both of those to realize your full power gains from exhaust. The tuner would help you with all your future mods. Another short shifter that gets raved about here on the forums is the MGW. I'd look into that if you want a short throw just based off all the reviews and the adjustability. If I understand correctly the stage 1 kit isn't supercharged, so a throttle body wouldn't be very beneficial until you're putting down a whole lot more power. I'd put that money towards the exhaust setup you wanted, or gears are another good thing to look into! Anyways, if I'm incorrect on any of this I'm sure a more experienced member will correct me, and good luck with the Stang!

Mineral Gray GT, 31k miles, 5spd mt, K&N CAI, American Racing Rebel wheels staggered w/ nittos, shaker 1000, lots of mods to come!
YoungBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda0876 View Post
Hello all,
I am new to the forums here, and fairly new to the Mustang ownership scene. I'm currently looking around as to what I want to do for my first mods on my bone stock '05 Stage 1. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Steeda CAI/SCT tuner combo, BBK Twin 62 mm Throttle Body, and the Roush short throw all from American Muscle. My other option that I was looking at was the BBK Ceramic long tubes, shorty x-pipe w/ high flow cats, and the Borla Stinger cat back system. My only problem is that I don't really have a way to put on the exhaust myself, so I would have to pay someone to do it (probably looking around the $700-$1000 range), plus the exhaust set up will be almost $1800, and the previous mods for all of them, including the free tunes for life through Bama is around $1300, and I can instal all of that myself in an afternoon. I would just like any opinions and/or suggestions that anyone more experienced than me may have. Thank you for your time.

-Tyler
Welcome. First off this isn't tech so it may get moved. Second thing search, read, and learn. Many people have asked similar questions as you just have, and answers can be found with a simple search.

That being said. You need to figure out your plans for this car because you don't want to, for example, waste money on a new intake manifold if you end up getting a whipple that will replace it anyway.

Ditch the throttle body. Cai/tune is a great start, go with jlt, c&l, or steeda.
LT headers aren't super cost effective but they are a good stepping stone for future mods, and sound great. Took me about 8 hours to install. A short throw shifter is a good idea, Mgw Ftw. It all depends on how big your wallet is and how crazy you want to get. If you want the best bang for the buck power just start with a blower. Just make sure you do your research.

2006 Gt - Vortech blown/Intercooled/Lito tuned/Lightened (sold)
3vStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
tremman78

Vehicle: 2005 gt

I wouldn't upgrade the throttle body
tremman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
AMShaneLesky
Platinum Sponsor

Vehicle: 2013 Mustang GT Premium
americanmusclefb americanmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda0876 View Post
Hello all,

-Tyler
Welcome to MF Tyler!

Looks like you're off to a good start mod wise. I always suggest a Bama/CAI combo package as a first mod for anyone! The power increase and free tunes for life program simply can't be beat for the cost.

You'll find there's mixed feelings with aftermarket TB's. While they don't pick up a lot of peak power, they will increase throttle response and increase power under the curve. IMO, the SR Performance TB is worth it for that reason!

Lastly, you should consider upgrading the rear differential gears. They'll make a huge difference in your acceleration! I must say, gears are one of my favorite mods too.

If you have any farther questions, feel free to contact me via PM! I'd be happy to assist you anyway possible.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

I threw my 2 cents in on the other thread. I wouldn't forget about suspension if I were you. I've had the best luck with UPR's stuff.

Whipple-12psi 10 Rib Pulley Kit-McLeod RXT & Steel Flywheel-UPR Rod End LCAs, UCA, Spherical Bearing, Panhard Bar, K-member + Front Swaybar Delete-Metco LCA Relo Brackets-BMR Xtreme Anti Roll-Spydershaft-Race Star Wheels-MGW-PMP Line Locks-Stanghi O/R X-Odyssey 10 lb Battery-Moroso Separator-Eibach Front/CJ Rear Drag Springs-Strange Adjustable Shocks and Struts-MSD 2 Step-etc. 11.29@123 1.59 60'
DRAG RACE? ASK ME ABOUT MY UPR SUSPENSION.
Diabolical! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:16 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement