Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

GT Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Jay Man

Default GT Upgrades

Hey all,

I am new to Mustangs and I just got an 06 GT 4.6L. I have had it for about a month now and I was wanting to do some upgrades. One thing I was thinking about was upgrading it to a Roush, if that is even possible. Or maybe look at just doing some generic upgrades. It already has pipes on it, not sure which I think they may be straight. So I was just wondering what if any upgrades I should look at doing. You can see the car it is in my New from BA, OK post. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks
-J
Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

There's lots of things you can do. Most people will tell you CAI and tune. Then maybe 4:10 gears. Suspension, suspension, and more suspension. You can go hole hog and just slap a supercharger on it right now. It really depends on your budget. But those are some places to start.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Copy my sig. Make it your mod list.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Jay Man

Thanks for the replies. The only mod the guy before me did was remove the cats and did straight pipes. He said basically it is an H pipe with no cats. So that is all that has been done to the car. I want to do a little more and have been looking at American Muscle and pricing a wish list. So for Christmas and my B-day I will be buying a few parts here and there to upgrade and change the interior and exterior. Also looked at their Acceleration pack for the 06 GT I was looking at picking up the gears and the clutch.

I don't know a whole lot about cars or what brands are good/best. But I do know that it is all budget, and I have learned the hard way you pay for what you get. So if I have to take a while and save then that is what I am going to do.

Thanks again
-J
Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If the cats are gone and you're not throwing a CEL, then it must have a tune to turn off the O2's.

Stay away from the Ford Racing packages. Half of the items do nothing for power and the other half are lame compared to after-market.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Over the next five years, what do you plan to do with the car as far as driving? (Daily, track, both) and how much do you plan to spend?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Buy a whipple supercharger... Lot's of power and instant torque, do it first.

I happen to have a used one for sale.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Jay Man

Originally Posted by Nuke
If the cats are gone and you're not throwing a CEL, then it must have a tune to turn off the O2's.

Stay away from the Ford Racing packages. Half of the items do nothing for power and the other half are lame compared to after-market.
O no there is a CEL. I asked the guy about the CEL and he told me it was due to no cats. That is one reason I need to get it to a shop and have them tune it and turn off that error message.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Jay Man

Originally Posted by JCON
Over the next five years, what do you plan to do with the car as far as driving? (Daily, track, both) and how much do you plan to spend?
She is my daily ride. I do not plan to do much racing and I have never taken a car to the track. I also have an R6 (yamaha sportbike) and I have a buddy wanting me to get my bike on the track. I have the stuff just not an experienced rider yet to take it to the track. So if I start small then I may look at taking my car out there.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jay Man
O no there is a CEL. I asked the guy about the CEL and he told me it was due to no cats. That is one reason I need to get it to a shop and have them tune it and turn off that error message.
Forget about getting it to a shop. Order a CAI & custom tune from American Muscle or Brenspeed. They'll turn the O2's off with the tune plus you'll gain about 20-25 RWHP. Even a custom 87 octane tune runs circles around the stock 87 tune. When you order the tunes (you typically get 3), they'll ask questions to help them tailor the tune to your mods.

Quick Reply: GT Upgrades