Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need Help! Newbie. 2008 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Bobby_Sparks

Angry Need Help! Newbie. 2008 Mustang GT

So I bought a 2008 mustang gt premium on thursday, feb 20th. I test drove it for over 45 mins on the freeway and also through normal daily stop and go traffic and it drove wonderfully. Had about $10 worth of gas in it. So I buy the car and fill it up with 87 regular gas and drive home(25 miles) and runs great. Park it for an hour because of a storm that came through then go to start it and cel comes on. No symptoms so far. Take to autozone and the codes read P0171, P0174, P2195, P2197. I drive about 5 more miles and it starts acting up...like its not getting enough gas. Turn it off for a little while, starts back up and its running good. Drive several more miles, run it slightly hard a couple of times and continues to run fine with the cel still on. Let it sit for 2 hours and starts driving bad again. Basically sometimes it drives great and sometimes it doesn't. I changed the fuel filter and also cleaned the MAF sensor. Here's what I know about the car and what I was told from the dealership I bought it from. Has a C&L CAI, an off road(only has front cats) Hpipe. I know it did have a bama tune before the dealership got the car. They said they took it to ford to reset it to factory settings...not 100% sure I believe them. There could be other mods that I'm unaware of. So I'm thinking its one of two things. Since it supposedly is tuned back to stock, it's messing up because the cats are gone?(besides the front two). Or do you guys think it could still have the bama tune and possibly be set for 93octane fuel instead of the 87 I put in it? What would make it drive great for 45 mins and then after filling it up and 50 miles later start acting up? Any help would be awesome! I really like this car, just need it to run correctly.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:38 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

You just bought it. Bring it back to the dealership and let them figure out the problem.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Bobby_Sparks

I am definitely wanting to do that but its about 30 miles away and I'm not 100% my car will even make it over there or that its safe for me to drive my mustang the way its running. Also, I have no warranty or anything with it so I don't know if they'll even help me.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:17 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I did a quick google search of those four codes. The common theme is that if you get those four codes all at the same time, you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere underhood. Either a hose cracked or popped off, or the brake booster diaphragm could be leaking. or worse, a leaking intake gasket.

What would make it drive great for 45 mins and then after filling it up and 50 miles later start acting up?
could be bad gas, too, but I don't think it would throw those "always lean" codes. bad gas would probably cause misfire codes.

Last edited by jz78817; 02-22-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

if u bought from a dealer surely he's liable
i would take it back immedtiatly..
Old 02-22-2014, 11:20 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
if u bought from a dealer surely he's liable
i would take it back immedtiatly..
most used cars are sold "AS IS, NO WARRANTY."
Old 02-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Bobby_Sparks

So you guys don't think it has anything to do with the o2 sensors? I mean I'm completely new to this stuff but my understanding would be since it doesn't have catalytic converters on the back, the stock tune is reading/or wanting to compensate for something thats not there. An after market bama tune would have probably turned them off correct? Thanks for the help so far!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:30 AM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bobby_Sparks
I am definitely wanting to do that but its about 30 miles away and I'm not 100% my car will even make it over there or that its safe for me to drive my mustang the way its running. Also, I have no warranty or anything with it so I don't know if they'll even help me.
I can tell you right now not having cats with a CEL does NOT do that to the car. I've been running an offroad x pipe, and 91 octane with flowmaster mufflers for the past two months with a CEL and I have not had any issues. I just recently however purchased a JLT Intake and Tuner combo to get rid of the CEL and flash it with the 91 octane race tune.

The previous owner must have some other mods on the car that he didn't say. It could be an aftermarket throttle body, steeda charge motion delete plates, etc. Who knows. The picture I attached is what my 06 GT looks like stock, other than the offroad x pipe and flows. I would take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. But there must be some other mod on that car that's throwing the code, especially if it's been modified. Also you mentioned there is only two cats, the 05-10 gt's only have two catalytic converters on the factory h pipe, he could however have purchased high flow cats which could be another reason why it's throwing a code. But i didn't look-up those codes, there should be a link somewhere that has the full list of codes.
Attached Thumbnails Need Help! Newbie. 2008 Mustang GT-img_2644-1-.jpg   Need Help! Newbie. 2008 Mustang GT-img_1361-1-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

wtf
crap laws u got there.
seems the dude part exchanged it in coz of these codes?
Old 02-22-2014, 11:37 AM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
wtf
crap laws u got there.
seems the dude part exchanged it in coz of these codes?
Yeah here in CALI the car has to pass smog, and it gets inspected for check engine lights, etc.

Quick Reply: Need Help! Newbie. 2008 Mustang GT