Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Homemade exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:08 AM
timhypo

Default Homemade exhaust?

Anyone make your own axle-back setup? How about replacing the cats? So, I was looking at the Pypes and SLP straight-pipe axle-back setups and they seem awfully expensive for a couple short pieces of curved tubing with a couple hangers welded to them. I guess they're made of better material than the exhaust tubing at Autozone, but it seems like I could build a similar setup for less than $50. Am I wrong? I have a MIG welder and weld well enough to do exhaust, but I think this could be accomplished with a couple 45s and some clamps. What am I missing? I can't ever see myself putting a mirror under my car or even showing the car at all, it's strictly a street bruiser, so it seems like I'd rather spend that $200 on something I can't make. Does that make sense?

Also, what's the difference between an x-pipe and an h-pipe? I mean, I know what the physical pipes look like, but why would I want to run one over the other? Do they both replace the cats with a straight pipe? I was under my '05 Manual GT today working on the shifter (long story) and noticed that the stock exhaust (I think - it's 9 years old) looks pretty efficient compared to some factory setups I've seen. Anyhow, regardless, wouldn't most of the power gained with an aftermarket setup be from the lack of cats more than the pipe itself? What I'm thinking is that I can, again, make my own replacement with a couple clamps, some 2.5" tubing, and a weekend afternoon AND have $200 or more left to spend on something I can't make. Again, what am I missing here?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:09 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

On the straight exhaust, I don't see any reason why making up your own stuff wouldn't work, but most people don't weld.
There's on-road and off-road versions of the x-pipe and h-pipe, the offroad versions are cat deletes. The x and h produce different sounds, with the H generally deeper and the X being a bit raspier. The x is supposed to provide better exhaust flow and more power.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

Also an H pipe makes more horsepower and torque in the low to mid rpm range. The X pipe makes more hp and torque in the upper rpm range. Since I don't really RACE my car, I prefer the lower more muscular sound of the H pipe, with the power in the rpm range that suits my driving.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM
timhypo

Yeah, the H-pipe sound like the ticket for me, too. Both in terms of how I prefer it sound and street drivability-wise, I'd prefer the H-Pipe. The 4.6 mod motors, especially the 3vs, already makes enough power up high. On the streets, torque is what's fun and why I bought a v8 car in the first place. Thanks for the quick responses. Also, I think I can pull this off without having to break out the MIG or O/A using pre-made pieces and clamps. As I said, I'm trying to build something that's fun to drive, not extract every last horsepower or have something I'd care to put a mirrior under...
Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I always figured an axle back would be relatively easy to make. Your enemy on these cars is space, because the angle going into the muffler is kinda weird (like I think you'd need two really short 45's to make it work).

I considered it myself but found a couple really cheap axle backs, so didn't bother.

I have considered making a muffler delete axle back with a couple long 4" tips, but I'd hate to crap up the tips trying to weld hangers on them.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

I also have 18 inch glass pacs installed directly under the cabin area, for that old school sound. No axle backs for me.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:07 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcrider
I also have 18 inch glass pacs installed directly under the cabin area, for that old school sound. No axle backs for me.
If your gonna make your own, do this above. Mid mounted resonators sound great on these cars. It will deepen the tone a lot. I run MBRP resonators myself with Borla s types axlebacks. Withe cams, LTs, no cats, I had to quiet mine down. Its still very loud but a nice clean deep throaty loud.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

I made a set of muffler deletes for my brother 07 GT with just whatever exhaust piping I could find at work, two 45* elbows, two pieces of straight pipe, some clamps, and a couple tips and it all came together. I might take them off though and have them bent a bit since they kinda come out at a weird angle, but they work well and sound great.