Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

05 Mustang GT slow speed acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 02:27 AM
Monster Duck

Question 05 Mustang GT slow speed acceleration problems

If take off for a stop slowly accelerating (auto trans ) it shifts up fine. But then around 25 -35 mph I can start pushing down on accelerator engine just lugs. I can hear the engine tone changing as I push accelerator down but doesn't feel to have any power. Almost as if traction control is engaging. Acts the same even if I turn T/C off. Once I've pushed accelerator down quite a bit it will down shift then come alive. (I also have a 2001 GT It will start pulling hard even before pushing down far enough to make it down shift.) The accelerator peddle at take off if also very touchy. Quite a bit of movement then it lunges hard.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:26 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

How many miles are on it? Sounds like it could be time for new spark plugs.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

The "problem" you are experiencing when taking off from idle is inherent to these cars. Your 2002 had a throttle cable, the S197 uses drive by wire. There is a "dead spot" at the beginning of the pedal travel. Cable wont have this delayed effect. Takes a bit of getting used to, to be sure. Some guys have taken the pedal assembly apart and shimmed the stop, thereby taking away some of that pedal dead area. There is also a little bit of it that can be fixed with a tune. One thing you can do by yourself to see if it help any, is to have engine off, turn the key to "on", slowly push down on the pedal and let it back up. Roughly 5 seconds each direction. This is a sort of recalibration procedure. A search for either of these can give you more threads about it, and with pics for taking the assembly apart.

As far as the downshift problem: electronics make it this way. Sometimes, when I stomp on it with mine, it does nothing but what you say yours does for a couple seconds. Really sucks when you are expecting the kick that never happens. I have not had it happen too much. Another jab down on the throttle has made it do its thing. Here you are, leaning forward a bit to anticipate the downshift,.....nothing. jab it again and it goes. Horrible for those times when you need it.

Spark plugs will not fix this issue, unfortunately. Manual shifters don't have to experience such a non-accelerating feeling like this.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 12-15-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:51 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Thats interesting, forgot about that. A tune should help with making the throttle more responsive.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:08 AM
Monster Duck

The car Has around 95000 miles on it, I've only so far since I owned it put on maybe 1000 to 1500 miles. When I bought it didn't come with the tuner. I figure the original owner had one for it by the Bama decal across windshield. The car also has BK short tube headers, full Ford Racing exhaust, and Ford Racing cold air intake and filter. I don't think any engine mods have been made. So I'm kind of thinking A tuner will help with low rpm power. Ive got a Diablo Sport in my 2001. Just got to let go of some cash and get one for the 2005.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Monster Duck

Thinking about it the 2005 Mustang GT has a wide black decal coming down the front fenders then a narrowing stripe coming down to a point along the doors. At the top of the fender the decal has SMR2105 . I have searched thru the internet and cant find any thing on this. Ive tried Ford, Roush, Salen, American Muscle, ect.... Does anyone know what it is?
Old 12-16-2015, 08:00 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

What color is your car? That sounds to me like a Silver Mustang Registry number. My car is part of the Yellow Mustang Registry, aka YMR
Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would want to know what kind of maintenance has been done to the car.

There are all sorts of maintenance offends that need to be done to these cars.

If you do not have a tune on your car, you would have CELs popping up with those mods.

If it was me, I would clean the throttle body, service the transmission, make sure it has a good fuel filter and go from there.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:44 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

May be totally off the wall, but with 95k on it, and less than 2k are yours. Maybe a fuel filter change?
Old 12-17-2015, 01:25 AM
Monster Duck

Originally Posted by jz
What color is your car? That sounds to me like a Silver Mustang Registry number. My car is part of the Yellow Mustang Registry, aka YMR

My Stang is Grey

Quick Reply: 05 Mustang GT slow speed acceleration problems