Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

first mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Jon Campbell

Default first mod questions

Hey all, I am looking at my first mods for my 06GT and am ordering a JLT CAI with tune, GT500 Strut tower mounts and a Pypes Cut and Clamp X-Pipe. My question is about the x-pipe. I live in CA so I can't touch the cats. I have heard probably every video on youtube related to axle backs and all the ones with O/R X-Pipes are very loud and raspy. I will be leaving the stock cats in place so I am hoping to avoid the rasp as I leave for work at 5:30am and don't want to wake the neighbors.

Any have experience with this type of setup? For now, I will use the stock mufflers but if the rasp stays down and fairly tame, I will get some Borla Stingers. My goals are mainly for the performance increase and hopefully some MPG increase and as a nice side effect, a mean sound that is tame enough to putt through the neighborhood un-noticed.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I have the Ford Racing cut n' clamp X-pipe on an otherwise bone stock exhaust and there's no rasp whatsoever. Other power mods are a JLT CAI, DIY CMDPs, Steeda UDPs, Brenspeed 91 octane tune, and a DSS aluminum driveshaft (less HP loss to wheels).
Old 07-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Jon Campbell

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
I have the Ford Racing cut n' clamp X-pipe on an otherwise bone stock exhaust and there's no rasp whatsoever. Other power mods are a JLT CAI, DIY CMDPs, Steeda UDPs, Brenspeed 91 octane tune, and a DSS aluminum driveshaft (less HP loss to wheels).

You just basically described my build list! That is pretty much exactly what I am looking for. And seeing your track times tells me a lot!

My next part is the one piece DS. I have heard that gets rid of all the slop in the rear.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jon Campbell
And seeing your track times tells me a lot!
There's potentially another 3/10 to come off if I do more suspension mods and swap in drag radials.
My exhaust looks like the one in this pic:

Old 07-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Jon Campbell

how did it sound with the factory mufflers and that X-Pipe?
Old 07-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

It sounds like stock until you get on the gas, and then it has a slightly throaty growl.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Couple more questions for Dino.

Did your tune need to be tweaked at all for the X-pipe?

How well did it actually fit up to the rest of the OE exhaust? I know it's only two cuts and four clamps as long as it accurately duplicates the OE H-routing between the four joints.

I know what X-pipe systems tend to sound like (I once built what amounted to an "X" for a different car). Does this one seem like it hits a mild midrange resonance - gets louder faster as you run it up through the lower midrange, say 3000 - 3500-ish, than an H-system does?

I've been considering an X for my DD/road course car, just not seriously enough to date to either buy or fabricate anything. Don't even want "loud", so I intend to retain the OE mufflers as you have.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Norm
Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Didn't need to modify the tune 'cause the stock cats are retained.
The X-pipe fits like a glove, and comes with installation instructions to help you cut the stock midpipe to the correct length.
I'd say it's slightly louder when you get on the throttle from about 2500rpm but otherwise you'd hardly tell any difference from stock. Still sounds like a muscle car and there's definitely no rasp. Note that the Ford Racing X-pipe was standard on the 2007 Shelby GT.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the prompt reply, Dino.

It doesn't look like much work at all is involved, as long as the fit-up is good. Not that I'd be unable to tweak things enough to make them fit if they didn't quite, just that this time around I'd really rather not have to.

I wasn't aware of its use in regular production, but that's good to hear.

Norm
Old 07-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Jon Campbell

I have read different posts of whether there is really any gain from the cut and clamp X. Could you see any improvements?

Quick Reply: first mod questions