Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

05/06 Mustang Supercharger Tech

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:31 PM
sd07gt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 05/06 Mustang Supercharger Tech

ORIGINAL: TRIGGER1980

Hi,

Maybe someone can help.. i have a 2005 Mustang GT Auto, I have tuned it too 465 rwhp and it goes nice..i hv lots of mods but my main mod if the procharger D1SC, i have nothing but problems with this system and i really, really regret buying this! Anyways i won’t bore u and go into all the problems cos most have be resolved apart from this..:
When driving the car fast, over long distance or 2 short sprints the car will over heat immediately and all the water will drain straight away.. at first i thought this amount of water will come from a pipe somewhere but then i realized this only happens when i drive the car hard.. so today it happened and i quickly stopped and opened the hood and found the water spraying like a fountain out of the radiator cap.. I’m aware these caps are specially designed to release the water after a certain amount of pressure (16 PSI).
My question is how is the water getting this hot in the 1st place.. i live in a hot part of the world (Dubai) but it happens even on a cool evening..After just a few quick bursts.. Basically the water is getting way too hot, boiling then being released in full though the radiator cap.. After 20 Secs its empty..

So how is the water getting to this temp in the first place..? [/b]
Please all your advice and opinions will be much appreciated as i get little or no support regarding this from my local dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
I have had this same problem on my 98 cobra with a procharger system !!

First I would check the T-stat .... it might not be opening and causing overheating...... but in my case that was not the problem...what had happened was I blew my head gasket slightly and when I was under boost the air from the blower was going into the cooling system, by way of the water jackets that are in the head and block ....causing it to spray out of my radiator cap. (once I replaced my head gasket all was good again ).

just my 2 cents ( hope this might help you find your problem )
Old 03-11-2007, 09:54 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

From a technical standpoint and by the symptoms you discribe, I would definately suspect a blown head gasket. It could alsobe something as simple as a bad intake manifold gasket. Definately sounds likeyour procharger isover pressurizing your cooling system while under boost! I doubt it's overheating based on what you have discribed. But, depending on how many miles you have on her, it could be a bad t-stat as the other gentleman mentioned. Could be but most likely it isn't again due to the symptoms you have discribed here.
You have used the word 'water' a few times. I wonder, are you running straight water in your cooling system? If so, that's a giant no no and will cause all sorts of problems on top of what you are already experiencing. If so, you'd better steal yourself to getting the correct type and ratio of antifreeze in your cooling system immediately!
Anyway, first thought is blown head gaskets or bad intake mainifold gasket/s. I'd pray for it being the latter of the two if I were you ;-).
Good luck and god speed!
Wolfey2k
Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Wow, I have to say I am a bit envious of your GT's.
Alas I couldn't afford one at the time but I am pretty darn happy with my lil pony too ;-). Nice cars for what they are and one can squeeze a shiz pile of power out of them with the right bolt ons. As you probably know there are lots of us 6'ers passing stock GT's nowdays.
Most don't buy the GT's because of costs, insurance, payments etc. and some don't like the GT look as well as they do the pony package.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys that are pushing over 450 rwhp, exactly what are the mods you are running? Especially those that are pumping out 500+ CHP! God! Some Shelby owners must want to smack themselves when they getspanked by a GT! I know nobody's going to catch a GT40 though but hey, most of us can't afford one anyway and there aren't many places to drive one the way we would like anyway except for the autobahn hwy or a race track ;-). You know smokey would be watchin you like a hawk! Even more so than they watch us stangers. Of course a lot of them just want to know what you have under the hood and how much it costs since a lot of them can't afford one either ;-).

I'd sure like to see some numbers on some modded Shelby GT's too! Bet one can squeeze better than 650 HP out of those bad boys!

I am looking at being able to afford the higher payments etc. on a GT later on this year or early next but when I can, I will most likely go nuts and get a Shelby GT 500 anyway. I will keep the pony in any case. Very nice ride.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I received a quote from my local Ford dealer for the installation and tune of a saleen supercharger on my stock '05 manual. Does $7,900.00 seem too steep? I'd love to hear from anyone in the Northeast on what they paid. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:45 PM
TRIGGER1980

wow, that sound very steep to me.. Im not from the US but i got my installed for $1700.. i expect some increase if u get it installed at the dealer but $7000.. OUCH!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Margarita Girl

I figure the part should run $5,000 so they are asking for $2,900 to install. I was hoping the installation would run around $1k. They claim to have the Saleen in stock and ready to go. I'll have to sit on this for a while.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I think that if they charge 100 dollars an hour at 2900 dollars it would have taken 29 hours which most installs take 16 hours. I think the price is too steep for a saleen S/C. Will the Frod dealer still honor the warranty to the motor after the install? How many PSI are you running after the install?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Margarita Girl

Thanks for your input. The dealer guarantees the work and includes full dyno. They also state that their "performance team" has installed 22 to date on the 05+ Mustangs. They are also willing to install the Ford Performace Supercharger which I think is similar to the Kenny Bell. I found out about this dealership in the Mustangs & Fast Fords mag where they had a beautiful "boss" replica highlighted and bragged all the work was done at this dealership, including graphics. This is a dealer who is well known throughout Rhode Island and S.E. Mass. I've been asking around for another option locally, including a dealer that will install the Roush. Seems lots of small performance shops will be happy to install the Vortech or Paxton, but they aren't jumping at the chance to install the twin-screw/roots. I know that the centrifugal superchargers are not for me, as I want power at low rpm's. Honestly , I don't know enough about this or how complicated this installation is, that's why I'm here at the forum. I hate to say this, but my next strategy may be to put a man's voice on the phone.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 PM
fordboy9906

im new to this page but ive read all of the posts. i have a 06 mustang with a paxton novi 2200 blower on it. it runs good but from what i hear the tuner (predator) it came with is not the greatest. i was wondering what your openions are and what you think about a 90mm mass air flow senser because i also heard that if you go over so much power its wise to get one. i jest want to get everything ready for when i take it to get tuned. thanks for all replys and thoughts
Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

I put on a Whipple H/O kit with 500hp at the rear wheels including an intercooler on my 07. Car has 700 miles on it. It is an incredible experience and very easy to drive normally and will scare you sh*tless if you put your oot in it for too long. Big power improvement over the non-intercooled 400 hp kit which I upgraded to this kit. Since it was a ford kit put on by a ford dealer it is all under warranty, which is worth the money in case it does blow up. If you are into DIY the instructions are very clear and well done in color. Dealer had no problems at all. Includes all hardware, tuner, gt 500 fuel pump, 38 lb injectors etc. So far I would recommend this kit to anyone and for once I don't wish I had more power.

Quick Reply: 05/06 Mustang Supercharger Tech