4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Check Engine Light 2.3L

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:13 PM
vindog800

Default Check Engine Light 2.3L

I just recently purchased a 92 LX convertible 4 cyl. it seems to run great but the check engine light is always on unless I cruise the freeway at 65 for awhile then it turns off. It then stays off for about 20 minutes or so once I get back to city driving speeds and then comes back on. Any suggestions on what’s going on?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:37 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Check Engine Light 2.3L

Pull codes.

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/R...stic_codes.htm

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/eec.htm
Old 08-17-2006, 04:47 PM
vindog800

I appreciate the response but I should of prefaced my post with the fact that I am not very mechanically inclined. Checking for codes on my own with one of the suggested routes is a little out of my league. I’m afraid I might damage something , short circuit the electrical system probably. I was just hoping that my problem was a common problem and someone who had experienced my symptoms would shoot me the fix too so I could get the CEL to turn off . I’m very new to Mustangs just having my 92 LX convertible a little over a week now. The thing runs great but with the CEL on I’m constantly worrying that I’m causing permanent damage. Any suggestions on what my problem is?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:21 PM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

Aslong as the light isnt blinking your fine for a short period of time to get it fixed. dont let it go too long though.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:35 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

The problem is, there are many things that will trigger the CEL. Generally, when its just on, its a minor problem, like a sensor out of range, or something like that. The thing is, youll never know which one is causing the issue untill you check the codes. The reason i give that link out often, is that many places charge 70 bucks just to hook the car up to a diagnostic machine, thats not even fixing the car.

If you were in my area, id do it for you.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:30 AM
nismotunedgtr
2nd Gear Member

Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, and a few other places will read the codes for free. They have a handheld scan tool. Take it to one of those places and politley ask if they can scan your computer your car for you.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:08 PM
vindog800

No Auto Zone in my area but I did find a new Ford Code reader online for $19.99 so I guess I’ll take the plunge and give it a try. Thank you guys for the help it is appreciated
Old 08-24-2006, 05:27 PM
hollister
1st Gear Member

Did you ever get your scan tool?
If memory serves, it just plugs in and causes the CE light to flash, which is where you get the codes from.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:03 AM
vindog800

Whew! Talk about sidetracked. To answer your question, no I did not get the scanner yet, on the way to get the darn thing I ran into an old high school friend of mine who after seeing me in my half-way refurbished 92 Mustang (I purchased it a few weeks ago from a tow yard for $299.00 and have worked on it a little each day since) told me about a place called Pick-N-Pull that was about 40 miles away. I had heard about this chain for years but never had a reason to ever visit but I did now. I decided to put the scanner mission on hold and hit the freeway to see what I could find at this self service auto wreckers superstore. Talk about Mustang heaven , I’m going bonkers. I’ve been there the last three days working my fingers to the bone. Since my little 4 banger convertible was basically a banded and sat in a tow yard with its top down for a few months there’s a lot of missing, and or broken, this and that . My wife said I could purchase the car and play with it as long as I didn’t spend a whole bunch of money on it so Pick-N-Pull has been a dream. As I write this I’m waiting for the primer to dry on my new spoiler I’m painting that I pulled off of a 1999 Mustang. I had to drill some holes of course but the sucker looks awesome on my 92 believe it or not. Just in the last couple of days I have replaced my broken drivers side power mirror, the passenger side visor assembly that locks the top down, driver side electric door lock actuator, left side rear speaker side mount grill that was completely missing, vacuum system for my none working Cruise Control, my four 14” plastic faced wheels for four 15” Mustang Chrome five spoke rims, my broken back window glass and valence, replaced both missing ashtrays, replaced my boring grandma looking headrests with racing style ones from a 91 GT, tossed my faded and red floor mats for super cool looking and plush black ones from a 2002 , and the list goes on. Busy beaver to say the least. One drawback of a self service wrecker is you have to do everything twice, once at their yard when you remove the part you need and then of course when you get home and have to install it. Easy price to pay though considering the prices I paid for all the parts I’ve hauled home the last few days. Grand total for my three day excursion, each day having my car stuffed with stuff, $211.00. Heck the spoiler I’m painting right now from the 99’ GT was the most expensive part I purchased over the three days and it was only $26.00. So again, no I haven’t got the scanner yet, but maybe, after I catch my breath and get the embedded grease out of my hair and hands, I just might. I’ll post a picture of my $299.00 Junker in a couple of days when I get all the parts installed. Well time for another coat of paint on my new Bad Boy spoiler.

Vinnie
Old 08-28-2006, 04:27 PM
hollister
1st Gear Member

Wow, good to hear!
You really jumped in head first, yeah post some pics when you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light 2.3L