4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

A4LD questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Blivit
1st Gear Member

Default A4LD questions

This may be my first post here but I do read a lot.

I have a 93 4 cyl automatic that is my daily driver. The car has done this since I bought it a year ago I just didn't care to look into it. Now, I am just tired of it. What it does is slam into gear. When put into reverse it clunks and slams into reverse. When put into drive it doesn't do it as much but shifting from 1-2, and 2-3 is pretty harsh; almost like it has a shift kit or something else that has increased the line pressure.

I've been underneath the car and moved the driveshaft in park and it does have some play in it but I don't know what is considered normal for that. My initial thought is u-joints but do you think it may actually be the transmission or pinion at the differential? Other than the gear slamming, it makes no other noise (trans or rear end) and drives fine.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:33 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A4LD questions

I would get up closer to the u-joints and take a look and if they are pretty good you could have some play in your rack and pinion in the rear-end. But I am gonna say its the u-joints first. They are easy to take a look at. Then go from there
Old 07-20-2007, 11:02 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Do you rag on the car when you accelerat? (slam on the gas so somthing happends?) if that is true then the trans is normal (it does it to me aswell)
Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Blivit
1st Gear Member

I am going to take a better look at the u-joints. Hopefully it can be something that easy because I don't really want to spend a lot of money on fixing the problem.

I don't rag on the car either. I have my blown 01 gt for when I want to do that. This has happened since the day I bought it a year ago and will do it even at part throttle.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

My u-joints are goin out to. It does it to me everytime. Probly from all those burnouts I do
Old 07-20-2007, 11:46 AM
nismotunedgtr
2nd Gear Member

When's the last time the fluid was changed?

Also, how many miles on the tranny. I'm sorry to say but the A4LD is a POS.

Hmm, check the U-Joint's. If that doesn't help scan for codes. If the TPS is a little old they sometime's mess with the shifting. Although, I'm not sur eif the A4LD is computer ccontroled?

Old 07-20-2007, 12:51 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

i guess almost everyone in here has that hard shifting problem. It just could be a 2.3L mustang thing
Old 07-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Blivit
1st Gear Member

The fluid was changed right before I bought it about 1 year ago.

The car has ~150k on it and I am pretty sure the trans is original. There are no codes. The trans is not electronically controlled anyway. Shifting to overdrive is but all the other gears are not.

ORIGINAL: nismotunedgtr

When's the last time the fluid was changed?

Also, how many miles on the tranny. I'm sorry to say but the A4LD is a POS.

Hmm, check the U-Joint's. If that doesn't help scan for codes. If the TPS is a little old they sometime's mess with the shifting. Although, I'm not sur eif the A4LD is computer ccontroled?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:08 PM
nismotunedgtr
2nd Gear Member

Mine never shift's hard? It's an '89 ragtop with 101k miles, original trans. Alway's shifter smoothly.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 PM
leveliv
4th Gear Member

mine shifts pretty hard some days....others like after it rains its fine...I havent had the chance to look at the U joints or anything yet but I am going to replace em anyway..with roads and winters like we have, all this stuff like U joints and Ball joints and tie rod ends shouldnt be replaced pretty frequently. I'm pretty jealous of sleeper livin off in the prairies with all the flat roads :|

Quick Reply: A4LD questions