4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

88 T bird blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:13 PM
turbo stang/bird

Default 88 T bird blow off valve

I have an 88 Turbo coupe thats still stock. I'm wanting to put a b.o.v. (blow off valve) on it and i dont know what i need to take off or disable to make it happen. I just need to know if there is any kind of recirculation valve on it or anything else like that. I'm a 5.0 mustang guy and i got this t bird for dirt cheap so im just tryin to make it a little more fun and way more badass.
thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 01:51 PM
92lxsleeper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 88 T bird blow off valve

you don't need a BOV if its stock.... however you should upgrade to a holset turbo off of a dodge ram 3500 with a cummins diesel. or just crank your boost up all the way and use a BOV. im not sure but the turbocoupe might have a By pass valve... not sure tho.

i know u can manually close the wastegate and get more boost... are you running an IHI or a Garret T3 turbo?...

Old 04-26-2008, 02:03 PM
turbo stang/bird

I couldnt tell you what turbo is on it. Its one that came stock and i was just going to put the bov on it for fun noises. And are you surea big *** cummins turbo would even spool on that 2.3L?
thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 03:56 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Here is some recommendations. http://www.turboford.net/faq/mods.shtmlAlso site has good forum search works don't have to join. Read up and learn before joining. They like to flame newbies with ask repeat questions. Great bunch I am there just there way. You have a IHI turbo. It did not have a bypass valve stock. Don't go cummins yet need to learn to tune it first. Adjustable boost control. 3"exhaust, non restricted muffler, and good tune up to start. Tbird will probably chime in. He has or has had several of that year car and can recommend better.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:00 PM
92lxsleeper
5th Gear Member

yea tbird is the one to ask for this one...
Old 04-26-2008, 07:09 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turbo stang/bird

I couldnt tell you what turbo is on it. Its one that came stock and i was just going to put the bov on it for fun noises. And are you surea big *** cummins turbo would even spool on that 2.3L?
thanks
No... Dont even listen to 92lxsleeper, he doesnt know what he's talking about. He's a dude and wants to become a chick [&:]

Yes he wants to have his **** cropped....
Old 04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
92lxsleeper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hellion_79

thanks
No... Dont even listen to 92lxsleeper, he doesnt know what he's talking about. He's a dude and wants to become a chick [&:]

wtf dude?

and yes the holset DOES work! i actually have done reasearch on this. ask anyone running an SVO that wants more power...
Old 04-26-2008, 07:26 PM
92lxsleeper
5th Gear Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wCmMTun1mc4

read the list of mods

Holset HX35W
Old 04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hellion_79

thanks

stay out of **** you don't know hellion.

The HX 35 holset will have full spool (boost) around 3500-3800 RPM (with the small exhaust housing)

As for a BOV, don't do it unless you know how to turn because its blowing metered air out, causing the car to go pig rich after a boosted run (shut throttle al of a sudden) and your fuel mileage will go down. Just run a BPV, or run it stock
Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 PM
92lxsleeper
5th Gear Member

isn't there another exhaust howsing that you could put on the HX35 to make it spool at a lower rpm, while keeping the large compression howsing?

Quick Reply: 88 T bird blow off valve