4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

92 coupe turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Default 92 coupe turbo swap

Hey guys, me and my dad just got finished with swapping an 88turbocoupe motor/tranny and computer into a 92 coupe. It's wired up pretty much like the stinger's guide says, and it fires up and runs fast idle although idk how fast, since the tachs sitting on 3500 all the time. I'm just wondering if you guys have any input on what might be the problem with the tach. Also it doesnt seem to take any throttle till around 20* timing. It doesnt respond to well at the factory 10*. Any help is appreciated thanks.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

anybody?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Hey, I got another question for you guys. what would cause the spout to not affect timing? It just doesnt do anything, pull it out timing stays the same, put it in and stays the same. we've tried 2 different ones also. and its breaking up as soon as it starts boosting.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:15 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Will try to help. I assume no boost leaks. Those boots on the intercooler had a tendency to get hung on edge of intercooler or the other part and cause leaks. You did remove vac line off the Map/bap. High idle can be caused by improper adjusted tps. See Stinger site. Breaking up on boost. Usually vac/boost leak. Lean fuel {install fuel pressure gauge 39psi [vac line off regulator] and 1psi increase to 1psi of boost. What I did was remove cowl under wiper and run pressure gauge out from under hood so could watch it will under boost. Maybe a plugged cat can cause boost problems but not the others. I think if fiqure the timing problem will solve a lot. Here is large search 'spout out timing'. Also check wires at spout. Stinger on one of them mention wires come out. Are you running the distributor on the 88 motor or convert to dis? Excuse me I haven't no experience on the dis conversion of the motors. But trying to help. Maurice
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Got a couple other things. I assume Vam is installed and wired in. Also hose between vam and turob has spring in to prevent it from collapse. If collapses. Make a round spring to go in it to prevent it from collapsing. [coat hanger wound round] Also can test tfi in distributor test procedure. Page 17. http://rothfam.com/svo/reference/sensors.pdf If need my help just PM me.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Somthing is definitly messed up lol, adjusting the tps does nothing and neither does unplugging it. what exactly is the map/bap? Car has no cats, and it seems to be really rich instead of lean, havent got a f/p guage on it yet or a wideband a/f guage hooked up yet either. And yes we're using the distributor off the tc.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

tps has 2 wires to sig return [pin46[ and vref [pin26]that is hooked to a lot of sensors. Sound like on of those 2 is messed. The 3rd wire tell computer what is going on. Sounds like during swap. Maybe wire got moved or swapped. Wiring diagram of the 92 2.3 NA.
http://www.rothfam.com/svo/reference/92-93Mustang.pdf
Now compare that to the 88 tbird.
http://www.rothfam.com/svo/reference/88Thunderbird.pdf
I compared the two. Both wires stayed the same.
Need to check see if got voltage at the tps. page 18 of the link I gave you.
Problem with 92 wired per Stinger maybe help.
http://www.turboford.net/cgi-bin/ult...c;f=2;t=040514
Bap/Map is plastic box. Mounted with two screws. On you can on firewall. About size of pack of cigarettes. Should not have a vacumn line on it now.
Hope this helped. Keep up the info will try to help.
Edit looked at Stinger site. http://www.stinger-performance.com/turboswap.html
Notice need a wire change at pin 27. Is there a chance mis counted the pins and got 26 instead of 27. Just trying. Maurice

Last edited by mg man 75; 03-30-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

There probly is still a line on the bap, what will that do exactly when its removed? I'm not sure about misscounting pins, my dad is the one who did all the wiring while i was gone. voltmeter's dead right now too, I guess I need to get one. Thanks for the help so far. I cant really check anything till thursday, just trying to get an idea as to what might be up.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Unsure what it will do. Here is what sensor looks like. http://www.kemparts.com/TechTalk/tt11.asp
Old 03-31-2009, 05:29 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

So its suppose to be plugged in but no vacuum to it when doing this swap or no vacuum and not plugged in?

Quick Reply: 92 coupe turbo swap