5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

shift kit...a no-go :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:22 AM
5.0FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

Default shift kit...a no-go :(

So today was my day off..and I was determined to find a place to install my shift kit (Transgo-AOD-HP w/ high rev kit) but I failed miserably. I went to 3 or 4 different places, and everyone had nothing but Bad news with this transmission. The one place that recommended installing it, said he'd do it for 375!! :| Everyone else had bad news. I got answers from "yeah..theres nothing that can help the shift quality or rpm level for that transmission" to "I don't think that shift kit will do what you want it to"..and "you won't be happy with it"... or "it will find the weak spots, and tear everything else up the first time you take it out"

There's a Racing transmission shop here in town..and I"ve talked to him acouple times...He said he'd do it, but he wants to Pull the tranny "check/replace whats needs replaces" ..and pretty much re-do abunch of crap... ALL I WANT IS THE DAMN SHIFT KIT PUT IN...and no one will do it for me...unless I pay like...400 dollars! Is the AOD really THAT MUCH of a piece of Sh*t?? I mean..can NOTHING help my transmission shift more firm?? Should I buy a new valve body? would that be Easier?! Any Help would be GREATLY appreciated.... I'm considering just sellin the shift kit and buyin something that will actually help me.

Does anyone have this shift kit? And did you have it just..put in w/out having everything re-built and stuff? Does it really jack things up that bad...and just plain Not worth it???

Many Thanks...and sorry for the Long post/rant...[X(]
Old 02-28-2006, 01:40 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: shift kit...a no-go :(

you were getting hosed. shops always want to use thier own **** and not others.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:42 AM
5.0FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

valve body on ebay

would that be something to look into? or is that just...sh*t..and worthless? :S
Old 02-28-2006, 01:43 AM
89_5.slow

Thats a bunch of crap about not getting an increase in performance from the shift kit, i think mine (b&m) made a fantastic difference in the transmission shift quality. It is now firm, and the holding power of the bands is much improved. Shifts are also extremely quick, especially compared to a stock aod. i payed 300 in total for my shift kit, installed including the price of the kit. keep looking, someone will help you. If they don't, doesnt that kit come with a video? let us know how the install goes, and give us some feedback on what you think when it is finishedl. Also, it improves the reliability of the transmission. my tranny has 120,000 on it, no rebuild and has had the shift kit for 6 months with out a single problem
Old 02-28-2006, 01:53 AM
impure
1st Gear Member

definately throw the kit in your car. i have one in mine and before that my car would take forever to shift and it would shift all b!tch dude. but now i can take my car into the high rpms and shift and bam right away. usually if you would do that without a kit your rpms would just keep climbing up. so definately do it its really worth the money. and to answer your question, yes the ford trans is a pile of ****, i have gone through three of them, i am getting to the point where its like F@#K it, i am just calling b&m and having them send me one, those trans are indestructable. i mean **** i have already swapped it enough whats one more time. sorry just giving you a little story.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:04 AM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

I have a shift kit and enjoying every bit of it. The kit has reinforced my tranny, better shifts and no complaints. I have a transgo shift kit.
Good luck in finding a place and I think this is one mod that I am proud of.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:01 AM
5.0FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

do the stock AOD's come w/ a "B servo" or whatever is needed? the racing tranny guy said somethin about having to have a certain type of servo?? Do I already have it? or is there really anything I need to change/have fixed while/before installing the shift kit?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:04 AM
5.0FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

And...any input on that Valve body..off e-bay?? Is it trash or what...anything special?... Easier than going through w/ the install of the transgo shift kit?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:22 AM
ZoSo15
2nd Gear Member

when i bought my shift kit i called the local transmission shop and the guy said that his boss wouldnt let him install it. he said something about b&m doesnt make quality mechanical parts and he wanted me to bring it in there for a servicing and he would make it shift better just by tightening something in there. are these guys full of ****? or maybe they are just too lazy to put the damn thing in
Old 02-28-2006, 01:00 PM
89_5.slow

You don't need to worry about the servo for the shift kit install, all the kit does is change the way the stock valve body flows tranny fluid, and increases the pressure in the lines. the servo doesn't even come into play.

Quick Reply: shift kit...a no-go :(