5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI to Carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Screaming_302

Default EFI to Carb

ok im sure you have all heard this question asked a million times but i really need to know. i am wanting to convert my mustang to carbureted and i have sometype of clue on how to do it but i want to hear it from somebody that did this conversion on what parts they used and want it is really going to take to convert this thing to carbureted.
and by parts i mean what type of carb and intake, what they did about regulating the fuel and how the got spark after getting fid of the EFI dist. also another worry of mine is the throttle cable how did they make that work in there favor. So any input you carb enthusist have towards my question would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-12-2006, 09:53 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: EFI to Carb

Need more info about the motor before I can recommend an intake/carb, but to throw it out there, on the street an edelbrock performer rpm and 650 holley will make great low/midrange power.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Screaming_302

i just built this motor in doesnt have any miles yet i have only started it in the car but the specs on it are as follows

89 stock block
E303 cam 498lift
heads have been decked .12 thousandths
ported and polished
hyperutectic pistons flat tops with 4 valve relifes
everything else stock and brand new
except exhaust
1 5'8 ceramic coted headers
off road X pipe
LX tips all 2 1/2 inch

my plan was to use edelbrock carb and intake if i can get some info on how to hook it all up
Old 05-13-2006, 02:13 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Ok I would definately go performer rpm intake and 650 holley, suprisingly the quadrajet style carter and Edelbrock carbs work very well. I use them in my 30 foot boat with twin 350's Very crisp throttle response and with the metering rod and spring kit, they are a breeze to tune. As far as the retro back to carb from efi, I have never owned an efi or have done it, its usually the other way around. Pm me when you get a chance
Old 05-13-2006, 02:35 AM
12Pack
2nd Gear Member

My car is a 306 with all forged internals. Its got a vic jr intake and a 600 holley carb, It had a 650 double pumper but it was getting way too much gas. MSD 6al box with accel distrib. and accel coil.

and rip out all the wiring harness and computer and all the stuff under the hood.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:18 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 12Pack

My car is a 306 with all forged internals. Its got a vic jr intake and a 600 holley carb, It had a 650 double pumper but it was getting way too much gas. MSD 6al box with accel distrib. and accel coil.

and rip out all the wiring harness and computer and all the stuff under the hood.
That statement is/can be a bit misleading. You can run a 650 without "getting too much gas". It's all in how the carb is set up. I'd be willing to bet I can make your 600 give the engine "too much gas". Generally if the transition slots are out of whack, both primary and secondary, it will be rich no matter how much you play with the idle mix screws.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:19 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

This topic was covered here about 2 weeks in great detail, do a search......
Old 05-13-2006, 07:17 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

I'm currently doing a EFI to Carb swap... Here's how its going...

First of all, you'll need an Intake, and Carb, I'm keeping mine low-key streetable, so I wasn't worried about the best stuff I could go with, as long as its good, brand name equipment. I decided on Edelbrock Performer 289 Dual Plane Intake, and Edelbrock Performer 600 Electric Choke carb. You'll also need to change out your ignition system. I decided to go with MSD ignition, and picked up a 6AL box, Blaster SS Coil, and a MSD 8479 Vacuum Advance Distributor... I also needed a Steel gear for this distributor, since its made for the older style flat tappet cams.

You'll also have to convert your fuel system. I chose to go with a Holley "Blue" Fuel pump & Fuel Pressure Regulator kit.

If you're going with a AOD automatic transmission, I suggest beefing it up a bit before you install all this, or while you have everything torn apart. I'm changing out my Torque converter for a TCI unit, B&M Flex Plate, B&M external trans cooler, and B&M Shift Kit.. Additionally, if you're swapping over to carb, you need a special bracket for your carb which is manufacturered by Lokar and the park number is SRK-4000. Its very important that you research the correct way to adjust the cable/bracket or you'll make your tranny a paperweight in short order.

This is all the information that I have to give you right now.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:39 PM
meiguoren33
2nd Gear Member

I got a pro comp HEI style distributor new for $100 when I converted. They come with the module and coil built in. Only two wires to hook up and the gear is supposed to be billet cam compatable. Some one else here is running the same distributor and claimed to have no probs with it. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Screaming_302

well i can get a dist. and an intake and a carb but i dont know what do do about the throttle cable and how to hook up the dist. and what about the harness that comes out of the firewall beside the master cylinder do i have to leave that because it has all the wires for the coil. im just pretty blind here on what i have to do to get thing started

Quick Reply: EFI to Carb