5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel gauge and speedo jumping around

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 10:00 PM
ritc

Default Fuel gauge and speedo jumping around

Fuel gauge is pinned passed the F and speedo jumps around at 60MPH and stays working after 70MPH then drops to 0 and doest move below 55-60ish MPH

The previous owner said the fuel pump was changed could there have been something not connected properly or broken while doing the FP?

And as far as the speedo I remember having this problem in my last money pit a Taurus SHO I just had to cip tie the speedo cable somewhere around the tranny for it to stay and not move around when shifting etc. Where is the speedo cable located in a T-5 anywhere in engine bay or has to be jacked up and under the car?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:05 AM
ritc

Default RE: Fuel gauge and speedo jumping around

...?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ritc

Fuel gauge is pinned passed the F and speedo jumps around at 60MPH and stays working after 70MPH then drops to 0 and doest move below 55-60ish MPH

The previous owner said the fuel pump was changed could there have been something not connected properly or broken while doing the FP?

And as far as the speedo I remember having this problem in my last money pit a Taurus SHO I just had to cip tie the speedo cable somewhere around the tranny for it to stay and not move around when shifting etc. Where is the speedo cable located in a T-5 anywhere in engine bay or has to be jacked up and under the car?
Well on the Mustangs the FP and Sender are two completely separate units, so changing the FP has nothing to do with the gauge. Maybe they disconnected the sender and forgot to connect it again, though I would think that'd put it at empty but not sure.

Speedo cable is on the passenger side of the tranny, will have to be jacked up to access it, just take a look at the gear. But from the sounds of it, sounds like it's the gauge. Easy to find out anyway
Old 05-14-2006, 09:09 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

Well on the Mustangs the FP and Sender are two completely separate units, so changing the FP has nothing to do with the gauge. Maybe they disconnected the sender and forgot to connect it again, though I would think that'd put it at empty but not sure.
Speedo cable is on the passenger side of the tranny, will have to be jacked up to access it, just take a look at the gear. But from the sounds of it, sounds like it's the gauge. Easy to find out anyway
That is correct, however the speedo cable in on the drivers side of the trans if it's a foxbody. As far as the gauge goes, does it ever work at all? The sender wire could be pinched and shorted to groung causing it to read full all the time. The speedo, most likely a head problem.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

That is correct, however the speedo cable in on the drivers side of the trans if it's a foxbody. As far as the gauge goes, does it ever work at all? The sender wire could be pinched and shorted to groung causing it to read full all the time. The speedo, most likely a head problem.
Hmpf... are you sure it's on the drivers side... could SWEAR it's on the passengers side aha... it's 5am so im not about to go look :P Still waiting on my 23 tooth gear :\ 4 months to go.....
Old 05-14-2006, 09:24 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

YUP! As a matter of fact, I can't really remember any car having the cable on the pass side.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

YUP! As a matter of fact, I can't really remember any car having the cable on the pass side.
Wow.. I feel stupid then... I have them out of 3 of my cars and don't even know what side it's on :\
Old 05-14-2006, 09:31 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Na, don't feel stupid. No big deal really. That's what these forums are for.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:35 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Hmpf... are you sure it's on the drivers side... could SWEAR it's on the passengers side aha... it's 5am so im not about to go look :P Still waiting on my 23 tooth gear :\ 4 months to go.....
why are you running a 23 tooth gear... 4.10 gears. I have heard that the 23 tooth is not a ford part and will wear down excessively fast.

why dony you just drop the tailsection of your tranny and change out the drive gear?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

why are you running a 23 tooth gear... 4.10 gears. I have heard that the 23 tooth is not a ford part and will wear down excessively fast.

why dony you just drop the tailsection of your tranny and change out the drive gear?
3.55's.

23 / 7 = 3.28. As close as you can get with the 7 tooth drive gear.

I know they don't mesh well, but what else can you do? If it wears out my drive gear, i'll pull out the tranny and go with a 6 tooth drive gear. don't have much to lose. Other than like 20 bucks.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge and speedo jumping around