5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

spool or lim. slip differential???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:54 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: spool or gear differential???

31 splines should be fine. Get a driveshaft loop and look into better wheel studs & c-clip elims. Detroit locker will be fine for that HP range. They can handle much more than that. One thing to keep inmind, if you get stronger shafts & diff, that just moves the weakest link somewhere else. Don't skimp on u-joints either, spicers are one of the best.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:57 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

cool man, i have alum shaft and fly. tremec tko, and the rear will bout fill me out i think. better wheel studs & c-clip elims ill look into also. and i plan on a loop too. you have to run em with d/rads here. but id rather have a loop even if you didnt have to. i know a guy who flipped a vette and bout got killed when his front U broke!
ORIGINAL: Grimace5.0

31 splines should be fine. Get a driveshaft loop and look into better wheel studs & c-clip elims. Detroit locker will be fine for that HP range. They can handle much more than that. One thing to keep inmind, if you get stronger shafts & diff, that just moves the weakest link somewhere else. Don't skimp on u-joints either, spicers are one of the best.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:57 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

2 words "selectable locker"... you can do air or electric or even cable actuated. They work great.
Not to argue, we come from the same "other hobby" but I don't like selectables. LOL
Air operated? on a race car? Too much weight. Cable operated? what happens when the cable breaks? Does it get stuck open or locked? I won't even touch electric....

I know your just offering ideas to the guy.. just messin with ya PG13 Pirate style.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:13 AM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Powertrax makes a great differential for 31 spline axles, good for both the strip and the street. Check out their Extreme Traction Systems, and their Lock-Right Systems. The Extreme Traction System sounds like it may be the most ideal for your application. Let me know if you are interested in either or if you have any questions, I am an authorized retailer. Happy to help
Old 05-18-2006, 01:15 AM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Forgot to mention axles. Moser are good, but so are Ford Racing's 31-splines.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:19 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

moser or strange. im leaning at the detroit locker kinda. but im up for more opinions
ORIGINAL: promustanperformance

Forgot to mention axles. Moser are good, but so are Ford Racing's 31-splines.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:21 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

The chassis guy I know throws spools in everything. Street cars, drags cars, you name it. He's told me that a spool isn't going to destroy a streetability of a car that really isn't ment to do anything but go in a straight line. Its going to handle like crap going around corners anyway. You'll be able to do regular street driving but just nothing crazy around turns.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:26 AM
MSU_Aaron
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grimace5.0

2 words "selectable locker"... you can do air or electric or even cable actuated. They work great.
Not to argue, we come from the same "other hobby" but I don't like selectables. LOL
Air operated? on a race car? Too much weight. Cable operated? what happens when the cable breaks? Does it get stuck open or locked? I won't even touch electric....

I know your just offering ideas to the guy.. just messin with ya PG13 Pirate style.

Cables the cables for OX's are very stout, air ya extra weight of 3lb compressor. ELockers are very dependable and when not engaged still have "limited slip".

I didn't know Pirate had a PG13 level.... Pirate mode "SEARCH NOOBIE SCUMBAG"
Old 05-18-2006, 01:27 AM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

The great thing about the Powertrax is it locks up like a spool in a straight line, but it disengages for going around corners.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:36 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

I didn't know Pirate had a PG13 level.... Pirate mode "SEARCH NOOBIE SCUMBAG"
LOL No, I cleaned it up for this forum. Fawkin noob

Quick Reply: spool or lim. slip differential???