5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stereo installation help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 05:25 PM
lightshow

Default stereo installation help!

hi all just got a 88 Mustang GT it had no stereo in it so i got one but i was wondering if anyone knows what wires are for what speaks(front back), power, ground ect. cus all the wires are open and i dont know which is which to hook up to the deck any help would be great</P>

</P>

thanks in advance.</P>
Old 05-31-2003, 11:43 AM
UnHerd

Default stereo installation help!

Your local stereo shop will be able to supply you with the wire colors. But if you insist on doing it yourself you will need a test light or a voltmeter. A voltmeter is better but a testlight works just fine. Clip the alligator clip on the test light to a ground (something metal). Start touching the wires with the pointed end with the key off. When the test light lights up - this will be your Constant hot (or "battery") 99% of the time this wire will go to the yellow wire on your aftermarket radio. Be sure not to touch this to any grounds- matter of fact, place some electrical tape on this wire at this time (I think this will be a green wire with black stripe, I can't remember). Now turn the key to the on position but don't start the car. Poke around some more and this time the wire that lights the testlight will be Switched (or "ignition"). Again, don't touch this to any grounds - this wire, 99% of the time, will go to the red wire on your aftermarket radio. Hold off on the ground for now. For the speakers you will need a 9 volt battery. Take the 9 volt and do a process of elimination with the speaker wires. Touch the wires to the 9 volt battery (one to each terminal) and when you find the corresponding speaker, the speaker will make a popping noise. This is totally harmless to the speaker- I used to work at a stereo shop. Do this for the rest of the speakers, just make a note of which speakers are which. The last wire left will be your ground. If you're still not sure about the ground wire just touch the pointed part of your testlight to your constant wire and touch the alligator clipto the wire you feel is ground. The testlight will light up indicating that this wire is ground. Or you can just screw the black wire from your aftermarket radio to something metal. If you have any questions feel free to email me.