5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cam upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 09:12 AM
xseanx

Default Cam upgrade???

I have a 90 stang vert and I am considering putting a E303 cam in it. I have an AOD trans w/shift kit and TCI Saturday Night Special Torque Converter. Rear end is completely new with 3:73 gearing. It has an off-road h pipe w/o cats and flowmaster exhaust. The engine was rebuilt a year ago, so its running pretty strong. I don't really expect the cam alone to give it all that much punch, but more interested with the sound of a larger cam. Will the E303 make it sound any different? I don't want to get into changing the lifters, pistons, heads...etc. I dont race my car...its more of a toy to play around town in! Any suggestions? I simply want more "yope" at idle. Am I going in the right direction?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:34 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cam upgrade???

Not that I'm directly answering your question or anything, but hows the AOD with the shift kit (which one did you go with?) and the saturday night special t/c... I'm thinking of doing this same changes to my transmission also. Thanks.

-- ojm
Old 06-17-2006, 10:57 AM
xseanx

Actually I toasted my previous TC and in the process did minor damage to the trans so I am currently having it rebuilt and havent been able to get out and test the new TC! The guy at the tranny shop installed what he called a "mild" shift kit that gave me much better shifts without the tire chirps. He told me that a shift kit the makes the shifting bang hard and chirp tires will most likely fry the trans. Well we didnt consider the impact it would have on the old TC. It should all be completed in a few weeks.$$$$LOL.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Matt90LX
1st Gear Member

So does anybody know if you will hear the E303 or not, I just got one for free and havent had time to put it in.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Lynch

E, X, B cams will all have some 'lope' (not yope by the way).

The problems with cams and EFI is the EEC will try to smooth out the idle. So, if you want some nice choppy idle you have to overcam the car... which is bad. If you want some serious fender shaking idle you'll have to carberate the car.[&:]
Old 06-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Dath
2nd Gear Member

B would prolly be better with your current mods.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:07 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

if i remember correctly, thee E cam is the only one recommended for a auto.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:19 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

Well, the x and z cams are out of the question, unless you cut your pistons... they both put up over .540"lift...

The F cam will be the biggest letter cam that will fit, but probably would be too much for your car.

The E cam is designed to work generally with 5 speeds, and also work great with blowers. They fit the stock pistons with 1.6 or 1.72 rockers. Not generally recommended for autos, but I suppose it would work also... again might be a bit much though.

That leaves us with the B cam... this would be the best for you. This cam has a little less lift than the E cam, and more duration. lift checks in at .480 with a stock 1.6 rocker, compared to the e cam's .498", or your stock cam's .444" lift. This cam will give you more torque down low, which will make that automatic feel more peppy. It will also make more top-end power than your stock cam. I would recommend this over all other For dcams in your situation.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:52 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

The reason that they don't reccomend it for an automatic is because they assume that you are running a stock converter, and with a bigger cam and the stock (1500 rpm) converter it's very hard to get it into the power band with a nasty cam. So lets say that your stall rating on that saturday night special is about 2500 rpms??? I think that you would be fine with the FRPP E cam and that stall. Also, what caused you to tear up your last converter and what brand was it?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:05 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89gtsleeper

Well, the x and z cams are out of the question, unless you cut your pistons... they both put up over .540"lift...

The F cam will be the biggest letter cam that will fit, but probably would be too much for your car.

The E cam is designed to work generally with 5 speeds, and also work great with blowers. They fit the stock pistons with 1.6 or 1.72 rockers. Not generally recommended for autos, but I suppose it would work also... again might be a bit much though.

That leaves us with the B cam... this would be the best for you. This cam has a little less lift than the E cam, and more duration. lift checks in at .480 with a stock 1.6 rocker, compared to the e cam's .498", or your stock cam's .444" lift. This cam will give you more torque down low, which will make that automatic feel more peppy. It will also make more top-end power than your stock cam. I would recommend this over all other For dcams in your situation.
b-cam does not improve low end torque.
the e-cam is better suited for a daily driver, it doesnt make as much power at high rpms, but has better low end.

the b- cam starts making power at 3000 rpm and drops off at 5800.
the e-cam starts making power at 2200(I think) and ends around 5600.

Quick Reply: Cam upgrade???