5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is there something wrong with my car or is it just the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Bumsdeclaf
1st Gear Member

Default Is there something wrong with my car or is it just the clutch?

My car has a really bad clutch, i believe its a Centerforce dual friction one. at first it was great but after like a year and a half of really going at it its dieing on me. thing is my car feels much slower than before. everyone tells me its the clutch slipping, which its true it kinda does really bad, but should it affect my cars performance that bad. i mean i raced a completely stock 88 GT, only had some drag radials the guy had sitting around. Me, i have a 94 GT with cobra intake, 70mm BBK throttlebody, BBK Shorty headers, MSD Ignition coil, 9mm ford racing wires, Aluminum Driveshaft, and 3.55 gears. we knew my clutch was bad but we just wanted to see how his car would measure up against mine. he beats me by like a car and a half. its not until like around 80mph when i really get away from him. point is my car should beat him just considering the 3.55 gears. im just worried cause im changing the clutch soon to a King cobra clutch and i really want to have the car i used to have, cause its just plain feeling alot slower.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Bumsdeclaf
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is there something wrong with my car or is it just the clutch?

i also forgot to mention that the car also has a BBK off road H-pipe with flowmasters cut off at the end
Old 06-24-2006, 12:46 AM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

your car weighs a lot more than the 88. he had drag radials, why would you race him? launches win races. it actually sounds like you did pretty good considering...
Old 06-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Bumsdeclaf
1st Gear Member

true about the drag radials, but my car has gone extensive weight reduction. weights exactly 3172 lbs with full tank of gas. i believe that car is like 3200. i may be wrong. however i could go through some weight reduction myself lol
Old 06-24-2006, 12:58 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Ok so you're not sure if the clutch is slipping or not? It's very easy to tell.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Bumsdeclaf
1st Gear Member

now that i think of it, it could have been me too since that guy has been racing somewhat professionally for like 10 years. his cousin build the car known as "phony pony" and hes been able to do like 7 passes in it. ( its like a 7 sec car i think, not sure, but pretty fast) and he powershifts the crap out of that car and revs as high as it goes. i would too if i payed $600 for a car like that
Old 06-24-2006, 01:01 AM
Bumsdeclaf
1st Gear Member

im dead sure the clutch is slipping. there is not a doubt in my mind. im just saying, should it make that much of a difference. i just dont know cause ive never driven a car with a clutch that bad
Old 06-24-2006, 01:05 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Yes, if the clutch is slipping, under harsh conditions it will affect your power.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:06 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

sure it slows you down, mine lasted around 25 12.3 second passes before it started slipping and I had to pedal it and ran a 14 flat.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:06 AM
fastfox86
2nd Gear Member

Absolutely. If the clutch is slipping bad then you will lose a lot of power before it gets to the wheels. A weak link in your drivetrain will always cause a serious decrease in performance.

Quick Reply: Is there something wrong with my car or is it just the clutch?