5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Unpredictable Engine Stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:51 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Unpredictable Engine Stop

yeah i was thinking the same thing but he said he already did the pick up coil
He's done everything else only thing that is left is his TFI

ORIGINAL: Sup3r52man

I had a similar thing happen to my 5.0. It ended up being the coil inside of the distributor, I ended up just pulling and replacing the distributor, the job was alot easier than it sounded, havent had the problem since, hope it helps..
Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Old John

Ragtop,
Yes. I checked the fuel pressure and spark. Both working. As a matter of fact if I wait a minute or two after the engine does its quit thing, I can restart the engine...but it won't stay lit until I let everything cool down. And, yes. I greased the ignition module.
Thanks
Old John
Old 06-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Old John

Sup3r52man & PX429,
The Ignition Control Module TFI has been replaced and greased. The main coil, bolted to the driver's side front fender, has been replaced. Next, I'm replacing the distributor's interior pickup coil PIP, the distributor cap and the rotor. Last thing I'll replace is the EEC computer.
Thanks,
Old John
Old 06-28-2006, 03:41 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ive had this happen to me, turned out to be the relay under the drivers seat heating up. Once it cooled off, i could crank it and on i went, no problem.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:02 PM
kevstang87
1st Gear Member

88 IS CORRECT. SAME THING HAPPEND TO MY 87. AFTER DRIVING FOR AWHILE CAR WOULD SHUT DOWN FOR NO REASON. REPLACED THE RELAY UNDER THE DRIVERS SEAT AND THE PROBLEM WENT AWAY
Old 06-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Old John

88stangaruu & kevstang87,
oooo. I like that solution. Thanks. If that's the problem, why would my fuel pump continue to pump fuel during the engine quit mode? There's a fuel relief valve under the hood. I open that, turn the key on, hear the fuel pump going and watch fuel squirt out the relief valve. We are talking about an EFI 302...right?
Old John
Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
kevstang87
1st Gear Member

John you are right if the relay is bad the fuel pump would not turn on.....It might be a fluke thing and maybe the relay will run the pump but not correctly. I know that makes no sense but I cant remember if my fuel pump worked or not. You could just replace it and if doesnt work bring it back. It only takes 5sec to change it
Old 06-28-2006, 05:11 PM
302RideOrDie
2nd Gear Member

Does it stutter then die or just sudden shut off? Might want to check your temperature gauge, not quite sure but, I think in 88' they had the auto shut down at a certain temp, your temp may be bad causing your car to think it's too hot
Old 06-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Old John

Thanks again, guys.
Ok. I've owned 3 Mustangs. 1988, 1992 and 1993. All three were California cars, if that makes a difference. They've all been 5.0 liter SEFI H.O. sweethearts. Two 5 speeds and 1 AOD. There has never been anything under all six seats except an electrical connector for the electric seat stuff. The fuel pumps were single, in-tank, fuel pumps whose fuel supply went directly to the engine. I was lucky enough to be able to change the fuel pump and fuel filter in my 1988 problem child and can assure you that there were no extra, other relays or gizmos on that Mustang. It did have the safety fuel cut-off switch in case of a rear end collision. But...that's in the trunk. Can a California Mustang and the rest of the United States Mustangs be that different? Having never owned a non-California Mustang, I'll believe anything you guys tell me.
Old John
Old 06-28-2006, 06:24 PM
kevstang87
1st Gear Member

Its under the seat On 87- 91 cars the fuel pump relay is under the seat, 92 and later cars ,the fuel pump relay is under the Mass air duct on the passenger fender well.

This why I would change the relay:

The electrical circuit for the fuel pump has two paths, a control path and a power path.
The control path consists of the inertia switch, the computer, and the fuel pump relay coil. It turns the fuel pump relay on or off under computer control. The switched power (red wire) from the ECC relay goes to the inertia switch (red/black wire) then from the inertia switch to the relay coil and then from the relay coil to the computer (tan/green wire). The computer provides the ground path to complete the circuit.

Quick Reply: Unpredictable Engine Stop