5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Problem: Rough Idle + other error codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:35 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default Problem: Rough Idle + other error codes

I've been lurking awhile and just recently decided to sign up and post a message.

I have a 95 GT with just over 79,000 miles on it. Nothing too major for mods (underdrive pulleys, off road pipes w/ flowmaster 40, ram air.) I've been running into a problem recently.

First, it seems to idle rough and feels a little rough at low RPMs. The CEL also seems to go off and on. I am going to replace the plugs, wires, cap, rotor because they are due anyway, but I think the problem may be elsewhere.

For error codes, I've been getting the following:

176 (lean condition in bank #2)
543 (fuel pump circuit open)

I am running test pipes with no cats. Just goes straight to flowmaster 40s. I was wondering if that would cause the lean condition codes. I pulled both O2 sensors and they appear to be relatively clean. But I don't know if that would cause the fuel pump error code as well. The fuel pump seems to be working, or at least i can hear it and it sounds like it's working. But I don't know what else would cause this issue. Is this a known condition or should I replace the fuel pump too? I was also going to toss on some MIL eliminators onto the O2 sensors but I don't wanna waste the money if that isn't the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:21 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Problem: Rough Idle + other error codes

no ideas for me? I'd hate to replace a fuel pump, O2 sensors, etc if it's not the problem.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

I've been lurking awhile and just recently decided to sign up and post a message.

I have a 95 GT with just over 79,000 miles on it. Nothing too major for mods (underdrive pulleys, off road pipes w/ flowmaster 40, ram air.) I've been running into a problem recently.

First, it seems to idle rough and feels a little rough at low RPMs. The CEL also seems to go off and on. I am going to replace the plugs, wires, cap, rotor because they are due anyway, but I think the problem may be elsewhere.

I am running test pipes with no cats. Just goes straight to flowmaster 40s. I was wondering if that would cause the lean condition codes. I pulled both O2 sensors and they appear to be relatively clean. But I don't know if that would cause the fuel pump error code as well. The fuel pump seems to be working, or at least i can hear it and it sounds like it's working. But I don't know what else would cause this issue. Is this a known condition or should I replace the fuel pump too? I was also going to toss on some MIL eliminators onto the O2 sensors but I don't wanna waste the money if that isn't the problem.

Any ideas?

No need to replace the fuel pump....unless you do a pressure/leakdown test (35-45psi/loss>5psi in 1-min), or pressure drops under load after a ~1-hr. usage period. For code 543, you should clear codes (battery disconnect for 3-5 minutes) and recheck for codes after a few test drives...it might have been caused by an open in the fuel inertia/cutoff switch at one time.

For code 176, and since it's a one side only failure, that side O2 might be due for a replacement (I would replace both)....if you want to confirm it, start engine and make usre it's up to op temp (>180°F), raise rpms in neutral to 2000 rpm and hold for 2-min., shut down engine and run a DIY KOER self-test within 10-seconds of turning engine off, and check if code 176 shows up....if it does do the following O2 sensor tests....

BTW....the MIL eliminators only work for OBD-II systems, they have another pair of O2 sensors after the cat-cons, not applicable to '95 5.0L OBD-I (EEC-IV) systems.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:38 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the input and help.

I forgot about the OBD-II part. That didn't come into play until the following year. I should have thought of that, knowing that there were only 2 O2 sensors

Thanks again
Old 06-27-2007, 06:11 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Any ideas?

Just looking back... This was my first post ever on MF. I just realized how much I had done since posting this. I had 79,000 miles then. here I am a year later and I have 83,000, lol.

Since then, I've ditched the ram air and the underdrive pulley kit. I then added 3.73 gears, a shift kit, rebuilt the tranny, installed a B&M ratchet shifter, added sprint performance suspension, summit lower control arms, P-1SC supercharger, water-methanol injection, 1" intake spacer, 76mm blow through MAF, Nitrous wet kit, nitrous switch panel (hidden in ashtray,) boost gauge, AFPR, transmission cooler, bolt-in rollbar, Tweecer RT w/ Binary editor and EEC Analyzer, relocated the battery to the trunk, 30# injectors, 255lph fuel pump, removed EGR, and I can't even remember what else. All in less than a year.

Wow... no wonder I'm freaking broke! I need to sell this thing before I dump mor emoney into it. Already looking at a wideband!

BTW, the problem ehre was with the O2 sensors. Replaced them and the CEL went away.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:24 PM
76stangalang87
2nd Gear Member

I was wondering what that was about. I was thinking doesnt he usually helpanswer questions like that? I didnt see the date
Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Any ideas?

Just looking back... This was my first post ever on MF. I just realized how much I had done since posting this. I had 79,000 miles then. here I am a year later and I have 83,000, lol.

Since then, I've ditched the ram air and the underdrive pulley kit. I then added 3.73 gears, a shift kit, rebuilt the tranny, installed a B&M ratchet shifter, added sprint performance suspension, summit lower control arms, P-1SC supercharger, water-methanol injection, 1" intake spacer, 76mm blow through MAF, Nitrous wet kit, nitrous switch panel (hidden in ashtray,) boost gauge, AFPR, transmission cooler, bolt-in rollbar, Tweecer RT w/ Binary editor and EEC Analyzer, relocated the battery to the trunk, 30# injectors, 255lph fuel pump, removed EGR, and I can't even remember what else. All in less than a year.

Wow... no wonder I'm freaking broke! I need to sell this thing before I dump mor emoney into it. Already looking at a wideband!

BTW, the problem ehre was with the O2 sensors. Replaced them and the CEL went away.
I hear you brother....22k down the drain (of course 6500 was the original price-motor and blower lasted me two weeks before I started my rebuilding) and I still want to take the body down to bare metal and repaint.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps...Dyno tomorrow afternoon