5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil in coolant tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 06:40 PM
bobbymorris26

Default oil in coolant tank?

look in the overflow tank today and saw a film of oil in there. What kind of problems do you think im looking at?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:49 PM
93must
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: oil in coolant tank?

Blown head gasket! Check the dipstick and see if there is water in the oil!
Old 10-09-2006, 06:54 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

hi newbie, post more info in your sig about your car , mods etc and upload a picture. PM me if you need help

blown headgaskets, check your head bolts, to they tend to loosen up, and if you recently installed heads, you should put silicone on head bolts, (they run through jackets of water).
Old 10-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

One time I poured coolant into the tank, using a funnel that I've also used for oil. After that, everytime I checked the coolant tank, there was a thin fim of oil on top of the coolant. It made me real nervous, until I disassembled the plastic, segmented funnel, and saw that there was a lot of oil trapped at the junction point between the segments. I flushed the coolant out, refilled the system, and haven't seen oil in the coolant since. Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:59 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

One time I poured coolant into the tank, using a funnel that I've also used for oil. After that, everytime I checked the coolant tank, there was a thin fim of oil on top of the coolant. It made me real nervous, until I disassembled the plastic, segmented funnel, and saw that there was a lot of oil trapped at the junction point between the segments. I flushed the coolant out, refilled the system, and haven't seen oil in the coolant since. Just thought I'd mention it.

This is what im thinking, it got into there some other way, if you had a blown headgasket you would know it. There would be some white smoke in the exhaust or water in the oil or you would hear it, depending on where it was.

Check ur oil, if oil was getting into the water then water should be getting into the oil...works both ways. If your oil is milky white or foamy white you got some water into it.

Other fluids look like oil when its in water also, such as ATF, Brake fluid, etc...anything oil based is going to look like motor oil when it hits water. Keep that in mind also.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:05 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

How can you get oil in your antifreeze with out it being in the oil? Antifreeze is under pressure during operation, that is why people see it in their oil...unless you cracked your head or block, or blew a gasket by an oil jet....

I would think it would be something else than a head gasket.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:12 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

How can you get oil in your antifreeze with out it being in the oil? Antifreeze is under pressure during operation, that is why people see it in their oil...unless you cracked your head or block, or blew a gasket by an oil jet....

I would think it would be something else than a head gasket.

Thats what i was saying, it doesnt make sense....i think something happened to it along the lines of what happened to Twisted. It only takes a drop of oil to contaiminate about 30 gallons of water, so it doesnt take much to make oil look filmy...

You know, also, that could have been bacteria growing in the catch can.....think about streams, where the water goes stagnant, it looks like they're oil in the water, but in reality its bacteria colonies living on top of the water. Thats something to think of to. It warm and wet in those cans, perfect for bacteria to grow on the surface of the water.....
Old 10-09-2006, 08:47 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Thinking about what was said before about other fluids....do you have an auto with a tranny cooler in the radiator?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:31 PM
bobbymorris26

5speed aluminum heads and radiator
Old 10-09-2006, 10:17 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

probably just a dirty radiator

my coolant was brown when i bought the car.. but it ran good and didnt smoke. got it flushed and its been bright green ever since

Quick Reply: oil in coolant tank?