5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

still have a whistle, but now heres a video

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 12:16 AM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: still have a whistle, but now heres a video

disconnect the serpentine belt and see if still makes noise.... that will eliminate every pulley.... grab a scirometer and measure the frequncey of the noise it self...
ORIGINAL: tuff5liter

maybe this video will help someone help me diagnose where this damn whistle is coming from. Ive tried everything, cleaning the IAC, cleaning the EGR, used carb cleaner on all the vacuum hoses and on the intake manifold egr spacer and throttle body, and yet still nothing. Thanks in advance guys.

Mustang Vid with whistle
Old 10-22-2006, 01:15 AM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

The noise seemed to get louder toward the rear of the engine. I would check the pcv valve and and vaccume hose.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:25 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

That sounded like it was coming from the upper intake, did it just start making the sound, or did you have it to start with after the swap?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:17 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

a friend of mine has the same trick flow intake you have along with twisted wedge heads and his whistle like yours. not as loud i dont think but it does whistle. might try contacting trick flow or summit and asking a tech rep about it. maybe they could shine some light on it.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:32 AM
88scgt
2nd Gear Member

ok this is the deal, i had the same problem with my car whistrling at idle and it was very annoying. we had a hell of a time locating it, always seemed to be around intake, vacum leak, bearing. well i startted seaching on the internet about throttle bodies and found that alot of the larger throttle bodies dont close all the way and thw whistle is coming from the air passing through the flap. well this is a very easy fix, just take a 1/16 inch drill bit and drill a hole through the throttle flap. i did this and have not had a whistle since.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:32 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

Take it to a shop with a smoke machine and they will find the leak in 10 minutes. They'll probably charge you an hours labor but then you don't have to dick around w/ carb cleaner anymore.
thats a thought......i have a smoke machine at work....i didnt know you could use it fr vaccum leaks.it wont mess anything up?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:35 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fourfivefour

The noise seemed to get louder toward the rear of the engine. I would check the pcv valve and and vaccume hose.

already checked that....checked the pcv (replaced it) and the screen underneath the pcv (replaced that too)
Old 10-22-2006, 03:38 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88scgt

ok this is the deal, i had the same problem with my car whistrling at idle and it was very annoying. we had a hell of a time locating it, always seemed to be around intake, vacum leak, bearing. well i startted seaching on the internet about throttle bodies and found that alot of the larger throttle bodies dont close all the way and thw whistle is coming from the air passing through the flap. well this is a very easy fix, just take a 1/16 inch drill bit and drill a hole through the throttle flap. i did this and have not had a whistle since.

ive heard about this....know where i can read about this before i just start drilling away on my TB? Ill put a smoker on it at work on monday...make sure theres not a vacuum leak, then do some more research on the drilling. Anyone else ever heard of this?

to answer someone elses question, tb has been on it about a year just added the intake and heads. Started with the new set up.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:40 AM
88scgt
2nd Gear Member

i cant exactly remember were i looked it up, but i stoped the whistle imediatly. it is worthdoing it i promise
Old 10-22-2006, 04:01 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

was yours just as loud and obnoxious as mine?

Quick Reply: still have a whistle, but now heres a video