5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oil Pump Went Hard To Fix???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 07:42 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

Default Oil Pump Went Hard To Fix???

I have a 1988 Mustang GT with a good amount of mods on it and i am pretty sure the oil pump just went. (no oil pressure on the gauge and making knocking noises) So the question that i am asking is how much of a bitch is it to do the job. Take off the oil pan and get to the oil pump. If anyone knows it would do nothing but help me. THANKS!!! hope to hear. Just some info.

~Nick
Old 08-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Pump Went Hard To Fix???

Well i wont lie its a very big pain in the butt. Best thing to do is get a book first! Next read it cause it has step by steps procedures. If you could just pull motor with cherry picker it would probally be faster. But you can get some 2x4s pieces like 6 inches long i would get 4 of them. Take off nuts on ur crossmember on ur trans.Take off motor mounts bolts.Place car on some jack stands. Dont forget to empty the oil pan. Gonna need floor jack to jack the motor up far as you can and place wood blocks on each side of motor mounts.Your gonna have to remove some minor stuff also cant recall all on top of my head.Purchase the 1 piece oil pan gasket. Some people remove the upper intake for more room up top cause it can hit back of fire wall while jacking it up so be careful and get a friend to help so one can watch the top .If you good mechanic with all the tools it takes about 5 hours or better with help. Took me 18 hours 1st time. Need to get pan all the way off. Good luck.[&:]
Old 08-24-2004, 08:44 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

It's a lot easier to just pull the motor. Then all you have to do is pull the pan, pull the old oil pump and tube, clean your tube, install new oil pump, install new rear main seal (cheap insurance), and plop motor back in. The oil pump is just attached to the block using two 5/8" bolts, two more bolts are holding the pick up tube to the pump and one nut that is fastened to a main stud supporting the pickup tube bracket and tube. Before you reinstall the engine though, prime the oil pump. You do this by taking out the distributor, then using a 1/4" socket attached to a really long extension and turn the oil pump's drive shaft counter clockwise I think? for a minute or two until oil reaches the rockers which takes about that time. If your oil pump went out, I wouldn't doubt that the shaft could be twisted and trashed. You won't know until you break it down. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:28 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

hmmm damn ****in car!!! alright well thanks i will do what i have to do. Man i am def not pullin out the engine but i know the whole routine of liftin it up a bit. hmm i hope i can have it done by monday.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:11 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

The oil pump itself isnt hard, just jack up the engine for oil pan clearance and take the pan off, unbolt the old pump, prime the new one and put it on with a new rod. The problem is that your pump likely isnt the problem, if your knocking then you've probably spun a bearing and thats why you have no oil pressure. Time for a crank kit and a new pump, gotta pull the tranny for that.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:35 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

damn how much a crank get you for? i mean pump goes engine parts that dont have great oil spots might make noise which on this case it was coming (the noise) from the drivers side valve cover area. So in that case one of the lifters or rockers is not getting enough oil. hmm well i will see. more help if have info. ThankS!!!!!!

~Nick
Old 08-25-2004, 12:58 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

You said KNOCK... which is terminology associated with bottom end noise. If your lifters are tapping from just low oil pressure then replacing your pump would likely fix that. Good luck with your problem, try not to use KNOCK when referring to valvetrain noise it will confuse people
Old 08-25-2004, 09:38 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

alright my bad ahh ya it is llifters tapping. thanks for the help. if anyone has any other things just dont be afraid to right on here. Alright thanks!!!

~Nick
Old 08-25-2004, 09:40 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

The oil pump itself isnt hard, just jack up the engine for oil pan clearance and take the pan off, unbolt the old pump, prime the new one and put it on with a new rod. The problem is that your pump likely isnt the problem, if your knocking then you've probably spun a bearing and thats why you have no oil pressure. Time for a crank kit and a new pump, gotta pull the tranny for that.
So how do i prime the new one and then when you say with a new rod what are you referring to? Thanks!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 11:59 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I would use a 1/2 reversible electric drill for priming pump, I can't remember which way it needs to either.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Went Hard To Fix???