5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

hard going into gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 12:29 AM
burn rubber
1st Gear Member

Default hard going into gear

when i drive my car its hard to get into gear. if i rev the engine up it and hold the clutch it slips in real smooth sometimes. reverse always grinds. i took it to pep boys today and the mechanic said it was my clutch pedal assembly. i told him to replace the the stock clutch with an adjustable clutch cable i purchased awhile ago, but he didnt. he said that wasnt my problem. that the clutch pedal is myproblem. can someone please help
Old 12-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: hard going into gear

doubt its your clutch, most likely your stock quadrant& cable are strecthed, they sell a kit that comes with a firewall adjuster id check into that, i had that smae issue then i changed it and it worked fine, as far as grinding going into reverse its because reverse has no blocker ring, which basically doesnt allow you to go into it while its spinning. so thats why its grinding, before you go into reverse, go into 5th gear then back into reverse and it wont grind.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:07 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

either a miss adjusted clutch, bad pilot bearing (causes input shaft to bind and keep spinning), or some bad syncros.. and reverse grinds on all t-5's there is not syncro for reverse, if you but it into 1st before you go into reverse it won't grind

edit: sorry missed the post above saying the thing about reverse, and yes 5th alwo works
Old 12-24-2006, 01:24 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Don't pep boy mechanics only change oil and tires? I know thats all they do at the one around here.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:32 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

thats all they do around here too... and they are so incompent (sp) that i don't even trust them to dothat... IMO don't ever take a car to a quick lub oil change place, or small franchise shops like pep boys... you safer going to dealers or local shops... i have previously worked at a dealer doing "bitch work" when in highschool and a local shop now when i'm home from college... and i work for a valvoline when i'm in school and i tell you my coworkers at valv. don't know anything but how to shange oil... yes we do things other than change oil too which is the scary thing
Old 12-24-2006, 01:44 AM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94gtcoupe

thats all they do around here too... and they are so incompent (sp) that i don't even trust them to dothat... IMO don't ever take a car to a quick lub oil change place, or small franchise shops like pep boys... you safer going to dealers or local shops... i have previously worked at a dealer doing "bitch work" when in highschool and a local shop now when i'm home from college... and i work for a valvoline when i'm in school and i tell you my coworkers at valv. don't know anything but how to shange oil... yes we do things other than change oil too which is the scary thing
i do that **** my self lol. the guys at pepboys are all dumbasses, went there and asked them if they had winshield washer fluid. the guy was like let me look it up, he even asked a few other guys and they didn't know what i was talking about. i turned around and there it was lol. but ya most of them are stupid.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:47 AM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I agree with the Pep Boys not being to smart, at least most of them, I have a few friends that had there cars worked on over there and none of them had anything good to say about the work that was performed.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:58 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

most of them are morons but then you get the guys like me that get stuck in a **** hole like that while they work they're way threw college (automotive tech. personaly) but none of the local dealers hire us becasue once we graduate we get the hell outs that town lol
Old 12-24-2006, 03:01 AM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

I never grind going into reverse, and my T-5 has over 340,000 miles on it!

either a miss adjusted clutch, bad pilot bearing(causes input shaft to bind and keep spinning), or some bad syncros, and reverse grinds on all t-5's there is not syncro for reverse, if you but it into 1st before you go into reverse it won't grind

edit: sorry missed the post above saying the thing about reverse, and yes 5th alwo works
Old 12-24-2006, 03:09 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

ok so yours is a freak, i'll rephrase my statment, MOST t-5s grind going into reverse wether in good working condition or not
ORIGINAL: vt89gtvert

I never grind going into reverse, and my T-5 has over 340,000 miles on it!

either a miss adjusted clutch, bad pilot bearing(causes input shaft to bind and keep spinning), or some bad syncros, and reverse grinds on all t-5's there is not syncro for reverse, if you but it into 1st before you go into reverse it won't grind

Quick Reply: hard going into gear