5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pilot bearing help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:40 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Pilot bearing help!!!

You can go to Autozone and tell them you want to loan the pilot bearing puller and the slide hammer. It comes out in 2 seconds.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:35 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ive done the 3am clutch replacement before....

the grease method works... get a bolt (like a tranny bolt) and wrap electical tape around in until it fits snugly, but still free.. into the pilot bearing.

fill behind the bearing with grease, insert the bolt.. work some magic with a hammer, and blam... bearing comes out
Old 08-16-2007, 11:06 AM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

When the above methods dont work.
Remove the center bearing by breaking it apart. Then drill the outer in two spots across from each other andit will fall out.
Thats how I change them when I do it and I have the puller.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I just replaced my pilot bearing last week...I got the pilot bearing removal tool from the auto store, got the bearing out in 2 minutes, 10 minutes later returned the pilot removal tool, the guy at the parts store asked if everything came out ok. its also a good idea to replace your rear main seal while you are in there, i also got a seal puller tool and returned that haha
Old 08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

I just replaced my pilot bearing last week...I got the pilot bearing removal tool from the auto store, got the bearing out in 2 minutes, 10 minutes later returned the pilot removal tool, the guy at the parts store asked if everything came out ok. its also a good idea to replace your rear main seal while you are in there, i also got a seal puller tool and returned that haha
how'd your project go... did all go well?
hows the clutch feeling? and what kind of clutch did you use?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:11 PM
fordboyyfm
2nd Gear Member

get a bunch of wet paper towels, quited stuff like you have in your kitchen may not work to well i never tryed, newspaper should work. but get it wet, then get a bolt about the size of the hole inside the bearing, stuff the wet paper in the hole, hold you bolt in ther and hit it with a hammer and keep packing it with paper until the bearing pushes out, always works gtreat for me. just dont use a bolt thats too big or touches the bearing when you put it in the hole or it may not come out.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:07 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Well, Some of these methods do not work. I had to chisel mine out and it took forever. I had the slide hammer and I tried the greese and the wet newspaper and paper towel trick. Sometimes they are just stuck in there and you have no choice but to use a chisel. Just be careful NOT to chisel into the crank. Some of them can be a real pain in the ***.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:36 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

the project went good, wasnt as bad as I thought it would be... next time will be a breeze! I went with a centerforce dual friction clutch. it feels good, just gotta take it easy and break it in first, thanks for all your help!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:56 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bighungrymatt

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

the project went good, wasnt as bad as I thought it would be... next time will be a breeze! I went with a centerforce dual friction clutch. it feels good, just gotta take it easy and break it in first, thanks for all your help!
sweet.. (cartmans voice)

hows the pedal feel?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:44 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

the pedal feels pretty much the same as stock, I dont really notice a difference to be honest... I also installed the steeda adjustable clutch cable quadrant

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing help!!!