5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Long tube header question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:47 PM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

Default Long tube header question

I am going to get longtube headers from bbk. I have heard of people having problems trying to install them and that they take a while. I am also going with a new x pipe fromBBKif that helps. Just wondering how difficult it will be to run longtube headers. All information is greatly appreciated.

-Brian
Old 02-14-2007, 09:53 PM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Long tube header question

also is it worth it to go with nickel chrome, or just chrome? only thing i heard about chrome is that it blues then browns which is unattractive
Old 02-14-2007, 10:22 PM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

bump
Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Get ceramic.

As far as install goes they are a pain but not much. The drivers side just slips in from the bottom. The passenger is a bitch. For it you have to remove the starter, jack the motor up a little bit and push the motor to the driver's side a little. Its not much, just a little pressure. OUr car has a convulated wire going across the shock tower that had to be pulled up for the header to clear. If you do all that it should just slide right in from the top. Also be sure that you do not bend the headers while putting them in. We bent the right side (before we figured out how it went in) and had to get a new set.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

I like the color the chrome ones turn, well..... until they rust
and longtubes create much more underhood heat
Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Install wasn't too bad, just did it a few weeks ago. If you have two people and a jack it's no biggie.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:58 PM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

i have 2 jacks, a 3 ton and a 2 1/2 and i have 6 jack stands. my dad has basically a shop in our garage with most tools a shop has. and my friend would be more than willing to help. ive just heard that sometimes it takes like 8 hrs somehow(dont know how but w/e) and that clearance can become an issue
Old 02-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Mowin8603
3rd Gear Member

i just installed long tube on my car and ya its def a pain in the *** but i think its all worth it.

mine complete removal of the stock manifolds and the h-pipe, and then the installation off the long tubes and the off road h took 13 hours. ya.. its a PAIN! i dont know what the guy a few post up was talking about them just sliding in. THEY DONT! what i had to do was undo motor mounts, jack up the motor, un hook brake lines from the master cylender, mess with the smog crap and have a LOT of pateince. both my mine went in from the top. i didnt have to remove the starter. but i would just say make sure you have plenty of time to do this and just go at it. i had 6 guys helpping me at one point and it still took that long. so ya just take your time and you will get it.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:24 AM
nit4gudtime
2nd Gear Member

i just installed my mac long tubes and it sucked. the drivers side aint to bad but the passenger side was horribly tough. I had to lift the motor about 5-6 inches and still fought it but when it fell in it was a perfect fit. Go buy Percy's header gaskets, there blow proof. Worth the 40.00 bucks. They sell em at autozone. Hope you don't have the beer drinkin chaos after you finish like i did.lol good luck
Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 AM
amhsraptor
2nd Gear Member

i eliminated my smog pump, i dont have any emissions tests to pass here. would that make it easier?

Quick Reply: Long tube header question