5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Frustrated about my new 92' mustang lx

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:26 PM
7thgear

Default Frustrated about my new 92' mustang lx

I just bought the car yesterday and i'm having major doubts. The engine starts and runs fine. The car drives great. Here is the problem though. After about 2 minutes of driving, when i'm accelerating and my RPMs go above 1800, the check engine light comes on. The light will stay on for a few seconds until I get off the gas, and then it turns off when the RPMs go under 1800. It started doing it about an hour after I bought the car from a shady guy, which told me the car had a slight emissions problem. Another problem is the oil. The car didn't leak a drop overnight, but I lost about 1 quarts from driving it around. I think the engine is buring oil like crazy, and this is causing the light to turn on at 1800 rpms. I could be wrong, and I hope I am. I will run a diagnostics as soon as somebody tells me where the OBD port is on these cars. Any suggestion so far?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:29 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Frustrated about my new 92' mustang lx

i know EXACTLY what your problem is. The EGR valve, on the back of the intake near the throttle body, has a sensor on the back of it. Remove the 2 screws holding the sensor to the EGR, and unplug and remove it. Get yourself a pair of needle nose vice grips, or some other way to hold the pintle still. Clamp down on the pintle, and shave approximately 1mm off the pintle, whether it be with a file or a bench grinder. Be VERY careful not to remove too much, just about 1mm or so. The reason for this is, you have carbon buildup in your EGR valve that is causing the pintle on the sensor to be pushed in just slightly enough to make the computer think that the EGR is moving, when its really not, causing the light to trigger. This happened to my car. It now passes emissions.

Please note: This is a "temporary" fix. It will correct your problem, but in a year or 2 or whenever you NEED to replace the EGR valve, you will have to do the sensor at the same time.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Now the oil is a different story. 1 quart from driving around is ALOT. If you were burning 1 quart while driving around, it would run like a mack truck hauling 80,000 lbs. Look underneath. I'll bet something is reallllllllllly wet. Check to make sure the oil filter hasn't been double-gasketed.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:51 PM
StangKid5.0
2nd Gear Member

Yeah thats alot of oil to be just burning up......My light kept coming on like that too......But mine was a clogg in the air intake
Old 02-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

Check the computer codes if there are any on it that my help you with engine light coming on.....Does the car smoke or anything where you hammmering on the engine all night? That's alot of oil to be burning over night and are you sure1 Quart? Change the oil and keep an eye on it .......Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM
7thgear

where is the OBD port? I can't find it. i think the guy removed it or something. I'm new to stangs....

thanks mattdel, i'll get a new egr valve tomorrow and I'll ground that prong.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:47 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

you sure you werent down a quart when you bought the car? that really is an awefull lot of oil to burn in one night
Old 02-22-2007, 06:48 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

wait on that. that trick i posted above is so you can avoid buying a new EGR. it lets the pintle fully extend to where its supposed to be.

as far as OBD, if your thinking OBD-II, we dont have it. we have a simplistic form of OBD-I, the connection is under the hood. it may/may not be in the original holder, labeled EEC TEST. should have a large connector with 6? wires, and 1 single gray wire.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:32 PM
7thgear

I apoligize for the mistake, but the oil must have been a little low when i bought it. It still went down a little but not nearly as much as I thought it would.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

OBD test port is on the driver side by the hood hinge and firewall area.

Quick Reply: Frustrated about my new 92' mustang lx