5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what cam??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 03:55 AM
tom29
1st Gear Member

Default what cam??

Hey im new here and i need some help. im putting my motor back together (5.0),in the next few weeks here and im ordering the parts this weekend. i got everything excpet i dont know which cam to get. the motor is stock except for headers and exhaust and and a K&N type filter. im also getting a computer chip for it too. I was looking at the B303 but i was wondering if that was a little to much considering i have stock heads. I am planning on putting intake and throttle body on in the near future but i thought i might as well throw a cam in while its taken apart. It is an 88 Mustang GT with a 5 speed and 3.08 rear end. Any input or advise would be help out alot.

Thanks---the site looks great by the way
Old 02-23-2007, 04:12 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Default RE: what cam??

Tom, I thinkthe stock camin 88had .444/.444 lift and 204 degreesduration at .050 lash. Decent cam, but if you're in it already, you are at the correcttimefor considering a cam swap.
In my opinion, E8 heads will support a B cam profile quite nicely. Check your casting numbers on your heads and if by chance you have E7 heads, you're in luck.
The Bcam has .480/.480 and 224 degrees at .050, so that is nota huge leap from stock and I think since you are going to upgrade your top end later, the extra breathing the B cam will give you will be complimented by those upgrades. It will make power right where you need it to.
And you're not reaching the point of diminishing returns yet with your stock heads, especially if they happen to be E7's, a possibility with an 88 model.
What else have you done to your 5.0?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:12 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Its a good idea to try to round up a set of GT-40's off of an explorer or something since you have the motor apart if you don't want to buy aluminum heads. They can be picked up cheap, because a cam really isn't gonna help much without some good flowing heads. The smallest ford cam is all i would put in it if i wasn't going to change heads in the near future. I only recommend the ford cam because it will be easier to select. Its best to do heads, cam, intake all at once, and get a cam and intake to match your rpm goals. A bigger cam won't hurt as long as your car is mass air, just won't be very beneficial since you aren't moving much air with your stock e7's... Don't look for a great deal of lift for power, duration is where power is made.... Good luck with your selection.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:22 AM
91stang
4th Gear Member

custom grind cam it's a little more but it's worth it
Old 02-23-2007, 04:38 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

That's true... But not really worth it if you're not gonna change heads, intake, etc. Easier to just put a cam already made that tells you idle quality and rpm range so you can select it easier.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:38 PM
tom29
1st Gear Member

Right now there is no Speed Density meter or Mass air. When we bought the car there wasnt one. So if I did want to switch to Mass air i could just add the meter right? i dont have to change to the whole computer. But even on speed density how would it run with that B303 cause i think it sounds like the way im gonna go.
Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tom29

Right now there is no Speed Density meter or Mass air. When we bought the car there wasnt one. So if I did want to switch to Mass air i could just add the meter right? i dont have to change to the whole computer. But even on speed density how would it run with that B303 cause i think it sounds like the way im gonna go.
Thanks
Screw EFI, get a edelbrock airgap 4bbl intake or a weiand X-cellerator intake, and a nice 600-650cfm double pumper. The added duration of the B cam will compliment either of those intakes nicely. Carbs LOVE duration, the more the marrier. Not to mention itll have one hell of a lope at idle. In addition to that itll be A LOT cheaper than replacing all teh missing EFI components.
Personally, Id say get the Weiand intake because itll do well with stock heads but when you get new/better ones you wont have to get another intake. I believe the powerband on the X-cellerator is something along the lines of 2000-7000.
-P.
PS: A better cam than the B would be something with specs like - .496in/.510ex lift, 280*in/292*ex duration. Thats not at .050 btw.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:50 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

IMO, there's really no reason to get a different cam if you're going to use the stock heads.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:39 PM
93whitelx
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackLX

IMO, there's really no reason to get a different cam if you're going to use the stock heads.
y not thats what i am doing not every one has lots of money
Old 02-23-2007, 03:44 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93whitelx

ORIGINAL: BlackLX

y not thats what i am doing not every one has lots of money
It's because usually you dont gain much if any HP from it.

Quick Reply: what cam??