5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Big Problem!!! OIL PRESSURE???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:13 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Big Problem!!! OIL PRESSURE???

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02
if you drove it for any amount of time your engine is gonna be f**ked, don't take long. From the sounds of it, you drove it quite awhile without oil pressure, don't take long to wear out thebearings, then your valvetrain.

Anyway. Let's start from the top. Why would you tear apart your engine just to see if the pump is gone? Why not just pull out your distributor. 8 plug wires, 1 coil wire, 1 connector and 1 bolt and your distributor is out. Then look at the shaft, if the shaft is still intact, try spinning it with a socket (forget what size it is, 9/32" or something) and see if yourpump is building oil pressure, might take awhile, might have to turn itfor a minute or two, but if nothing's comin, if it doesn't start getting hard to turn,your pump's shot.This would be the absolute first thing I would do, as, this is what you do when you start an engine for the first time, you always pump up the oil pump.
Tell that to my neighbor, He drove his 9 miles with no pump at low rpm. He replaced the pump & shaft. Hasn't broken down since & that was quite a few years ago.
ORIGINAL: Waldo5.0
thats weird because the only thing I saw was the gear on the distributor and at the bottom of the distributor was something like an allen wrench looking input. I would think the shaft goes and connects right there, but yet i see absolutely nothing.
The allen wrench looking hole is where the oil pump shaft is supposed to be... So there is no oil pump shaft at all? You might have made it fall into the pan when you lifted the disty out if it's not in there now. That or it twisted in two really low. The shaft goes from the bottom of the disty to the oil pump.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 AM
Waldo5.0
1st Gear Member

Guess Im gonna have to go get it done. I have no time to be lifting the engine up. Thought it would be easyer to just replace the oil shaft but its not there so im assuming its broken in two. Meaning its in the oil pan and to get that out im gonna have to take the motor. Wish I had the right equipment to do it but I dont. I wonder how much this is gonna cost me? F***.....say bye bye to re-gearing the axle for a while now.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Pretty cheap actually. It shouldn't cost you more than $50 for everything you need. And you don't need to take the engine out. This install is cake. you'll see what I mean when you actually start on it & get the pan off. It's pretty easy & straight forward.

If the oil pump shaft really is broken, then you need to find the cause. That will most likely be in the oil pump itself. When you get it off, there will be 4 bolts holding a plate on to the pump gears. If there's anythign lodged in the gears or the gears look like something hit them & stopped it, you'll know that was the cause. If you can't find it there, look in the pickup tube. After you get the pan off, it should be about 3-4 bolts to get the pump off.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Figure anything out yet?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

The knocking under the valve cover was most likely your lifters. The prolly bled out during the night, and with no oil pressure to pump them back up when you started the car I'll bet you collapsed one or two of em.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:03 PM
AlabamaCobra
2nd Gear Member

what did i tell you about mud riding? mud eats up everything son.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:18 PM
89 fox
4th Gear Member

that is what you need to put the socket on and turn...that sounds like your shaft
Old 03-02-2007, 02:27 AM
Waldo5.0
1st Gear Member

Well.. Its in the shop now. My dads friend is gonna be working on it. Ill post another thread once I find out whats wrong with it. Thanks alot guys
Old 03-02-2007, 02:44 AM
Musclecoupe

While you have the pan off u should take a couple of main caps off (one at a time) and check for scaring. Also look real good in the pan for brass or aluminum
Old 03-02-2007, 02:51 AM
90ford5liter

The shaft is the alien wrench looking thing, the alien wrench is the end of the shaft. Its vertical

Quick Reply: Big Problem!!! OIL PRESSURE???