5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

double din in console?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Drexl
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: double din in console?

the stock deck looks like a bag of smashed ******** in my opinion.

but.. meh.. whatever blows your hair back... got my adapter kit the audio shop in town my buddy owns. I can get more if you want one.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Drexl
3rd Gear Member

not to mention stock sounds like crap.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Drexl

its an adapter kit for the car.. the original radio can still go right back in there.

Yah, but there's still 4 holes drilled, onein each corner. If you take it out, you have 4 holes. I'm VERY picky when it comes to that, I've been working on this car for two years now, so I'm not gonna cut it up.

I could do that, but if I'm not mistaken there's no input on the back of the factory radio. At that, I'm quite fond of the styling of the newer ones, old one's look like crap. Like I know I could get a CD player out of a mystique or contour that's a single din and weld the bracket from the fox factory radio to the bottom of it, but if I can, I would rather go with the newer one.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Drexl
3rd Gear Member

those are the same 4 holes that the stock radio bolts into.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

The adapters run inline with the antenna input. They're a hard wired FM modulator. I've never used one, but I imagine they sound as "ok" as the stock stereo sounds anyhow.

I agree that stock is poo, but you said you wanted the factory look. If you do some research, you might be able to find a factory single din MP3 player unit that you like.

Or.. Find an aftermarket unit that you like and build a kit for it that suits your needs. My car came with an aftermarket unit already in it, so I have no clue how the stock mounts. But, I've built my own kits for cars in the past and they turned out fine.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

those are the same 4 holes that the stock radio bolts into.

The factory radio doesn't bolt to the console, it's a ford, it has two clips on either side that hold it in and a guide along the top to hold the back of it up. Those holes were drilled

ORIGINAL: Maxwelhse

The adapters run inline with the antenna input. They're a hard wired FM modulator. I've never used one, but I imagine they sound as "ok" as the stock stereo sounds anyhow.

I agree that stock is poo, but you said you wanted the factory look. If you do some research, you might be able to find a factory single din MP3 player unit that you like.

Or.. Find an aftermarket unit that you like and build a kit for it that suits your needs. My car came with an aftermarket unit already in it, so I have no clue how the stock mounts. But, I've built my own kits for cars in the past and they turned out fine.
Ahh I see what you're sayin. Issue being, Ford has moved away from the clips on the side of their radios, so in order to bolt most of their radios in, i'd have to drill holes, that's a big reason why I'm sticking with ford radios, It's got the two clips on the side to hold it in, so no drilling necessary, my console is already made for those clips from the old stereo
Old 02-25-2007, 11:25 PM
rocketrotary
2nd Gear Member

That's alright Drexl, I've already got mine in. As many problems as I had a couple days afterI got my stereo installed, I'm not going to mess with it. I know the problems are unrelated, but I'm still not going to mess with it.

Vic
Old 02-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Drexl
3rd Gear Member

The factory radio doesn't bolt to the console, it's a ford, it has two clips on either side that hold it in and a guide along the top to hold the back of it up. Those holes were drilled

oh yeah..
well. then the holes are covered.. so either way who cares

Old 02-25-2007, 11:32 PM
1989convertible
1st Gear Member

i've done the radio swap its much cleanrt look the top is the radio then 3 gauges then the heater controls no pics of it yet cost $85
Old 02-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

oh yeah..
well. then the holes are covered.. so either way who cares

Not if you pull it out, the factory radio doesn't cover them. remember, this car is my baby, 2 years I've been workin on it, check out the link in my sig and you'll see why I'm so picky

Quick Reply: double din in console?