5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rebuild Target: 350 HP Tips and Suggestions Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:33 PM
venpry

Default Rebuild Target: 350 HP Tips and Suggestions Appreciated

I recently purchased a 1989 GT Convertible with the intent of eventually pulling the motor and transmission so I can do an EFI/AOD swap into my 1966 Coupe that is currently undergoing a frame off restoration. While the engine and transmission are currently in running condition, since they are going to be out of the car anyway, I figured now would be an opportune time to rebuild and upgrade. My goal for this particular car is 350 reliable horsepower.

I've purchased a number of 5.0 performance books and have begun sifting through them, but I also wanted to get some 'real world' opinions and advice as to the best ways to reach my goals.

The only restriction I have at this point is space available for the upper intake manifold, due to the tower support/export brace package I want to use (the driver's side of stock/GT 40/TFS intakes interfere). The only intake that I know will work efficientlyin this HP rangeat this point is the BBK SSI, which I'm aware isn't exactly a favorite around here.

In short, I'm looking for suggestions on part combinations to achieve my goals. Anything you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. Also, with respect to the AOD tranny, if anyone has suggestions on beefing that up, those would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:35 PM
dthompson67
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rebuild Target: 350 HP Tips and Suggestions Appreciated

go with some afr heads or some trick flow twisted wedge. those are a must. get a good cam. and just work up maybe a supercharger?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:04 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

EFI Spyder intake is nothing but a VicJr. intake with injector ports
it should fit............... call them and they can recommend which one ( Spyder, Spyder II or Super Spyder )
http://coasthigh.com/Fuel%20Injection/spyder.htm

350hp very do-able for 302, you could stroke it to 347 for not much more
money since you're doing a complete upgrade and have more like 450hp for bout same money.

RHS, AFR, Canfield all good heads.

Cam selection is CRITICAL, depends on what heads you use, power band, intake ect ect.
www.camshaftinnovations.com comes highly recommended for "custom" cam or they
can recommend an off the shelf cam for a $50 fee.

The cam is the heart and sole of an engine, EVERYTHING should be based
around it, from heads to compression level

Check out these "4 barrel" throttle bodies too.
looks like a carb but its really an EFI throttle body
http://coasthigh.com/Fuel%20Injection/Accufab_tb.htm
Old 03-08-2007, 03:06 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Supercharger, will get you to your goal pretty easy.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:47 PM
5ohfox
1st Gear Member

if you want the 350 streetable HP i would strongly inforce the holly systemax kit. it comes with heads, cam, intake, double roller timing chain, and the gasket kit to install it. and it pumps out 350 HP.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
venpry

Thanks to everyone for the replies...

dthompson67, 15austin: Since I'm rebuilding anyway and can get to 350 NA, I think SC may be excessive for this particular application.

r.barn: Arethe intakes and four barrell TB's you mentioned compatible with the stock EEC IV ECU? Heads: I've been looking at the AFR's and canfields, but haven't been able to find much documentation regarding which ones (165, 185, 205, 225) make the most sense for my target HP. Any advice or rules of thumb would be appreciated. 347 Stroker is probably a little more than I want for this application (though I am toying with370 Dart block stroker for my Fastback).

5ohfox... I looked at the Holley set up, the bummer is that the upper intake will not fit with my tower bracing set up.

Thanks again for the replies, keep 'em comin'.

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

If you want, you can call Camshaft Innovations and have Jay Allen set you up with a package. He is a supplier for Canfield and like rbarn said is highly recommended for custom grind camshafts.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:15 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

efi intake is a good intake if you're worried about space. its takes up little space under the hood.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: venpry

r.barn: Arethe intakes and four barrell TB's you mentioned compatible with the stock EEC IV ECU? Heads: I've been looking at the AFR's and canfields, but haven't been able to find much documentation regarding which ones (165, 185, 205, 225) make the most sense for my target HP. Any advice or rules of thumb would be appreciated. 347 Stroker is probably a little more than I want for this application (though I am toying with370 Dart block stroker for my Fastback).
The info on-line says those 4 barrel TB's use "late model GM electronics"
all you need for the EEC is a TPS signal. Call Accufab ( they make them ) and see what
they say about wiring it up. Should be doable, might require some wire splicing or such.

The intakes are nothing but VicJr's with injector ports
Edlebrock now offers a VicJr. with EFI ports now too i think

AFR 165's or 185's would be good for a 306 same with canfields 170's or 190's
just depends on cam and power band.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i got some edelbrock performer rpm heads assembled & polished for $1,282 from jegs.
im going with a 331 stroker and plan to have 400 to 450hp at the fly. (450 once i get the tuning done)
i also got the edelbrock performer rpm 2 manifolds, comp cam 35-351-8 (1800-5800RPM's)
and alot of other stuff. you wont need your power band to go past 6,000 on the street since you will rarely see that...ur take off would be slow with a high rpm setup. im about to get my aode tranny rebuilt so ill let you know what i did and what it cost me.

Quick Reply: Rebuild Target: 350 HP Tips and Suggestions Appreciated