5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:09 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch Question

I have a 86 gt. Well i bought it today. When driveing home it grindes every gear unless the rpms are very low and i eaze it in, but it still clunks. So im guess the clutch is bad also it catches when the peddle is way out. Also i hear a wine when ever its in any gear even with the clutch pushed in. The wine increases with higher rpms. Mabey fluid is low in tranny. I dont plan on driveing it till its fixed. I was thinking syncros but it does it in every gear, have to jam it in first at a stop. So my guess is a clutch hopefuly. It does have a brand new clutch cable put in a week ago. Umm also does the clutch peddle stick way up higher than the brake in these. I mean its like 2-4 inches higher than the brake peddle. Ill post a pic of it tomoro but seems wierd the clutch peddle is so high. If it turns out the clutch is bad witch im 100% shure whats a decent clutch to put in it to get her driveing again. I dont need a fancey 2-3 stage ita a bone stock car. I seen on ebay a king corba kit for 100$ would that work decent in not trying to spend alot for a clutch atm. I just dont have the money basicly im looking for a decent oem replacement thats cheap. TY again for helping sorry such a long post i just wanted to provide you all with the most info. Thanx again
Old 03-10-2007, 01:33 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch Question

yea deff. sonds like a clutch probelm, try adjusting it if u haven't already, and as for the kind cobra i killed mine in 3000 miles on my car (exhaust only car) so i would try to get a low end center force or a stage one spec.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:54 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Ahh thanx for the advice. I will deff not buy one then ive seen compairable priced stage one clutches. So what ill do is search some more and list a couple brands and see what you guys think. I want something that will last. But cheap like a oem spec. Basicly i just wanna get her on the road. Ty for your imput on the king cobra.

Also From what i see is the clutch cable is adgusted all the way tight. Like i said it is a new cable i rember when he bought it a week ago. He did not use the new aloy rap around barcket that came with it. mabey thats a problem also. ???
Old 03-10-2007, 02:00 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i should mention that others on here have had good luck with them lasting but most people don't seem to like the feel... i am very rough on my clutches so thats the whole 3k miles thing... i have a LMC centerforce and i love the feel and it grabs hard... but its more than it sounds like your looking to spend (500-600$ for the pressure plate and disc)
Old 03-10-2007, 02:16 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Yea atm 500 is out of my range i just wanna get her on the road to take my f150 and fix the 2 broke off exhaust mani bolts. ( i bought the truck with a exhaust leak thinking it was only the gasket come to find out the first cylinder on the passenger side mani bolt are broke off) SO a 100 - 150 dollar cluch is just to get her running till i see what its gonna cost to fix the truck. ( i still owe 12k on the truck) Have to keep it running lol. Any advice on cheaper clutchs that seam to hold up and grab ok?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:22 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

On a side note heres a pic of her. Taken with my phone. One is next to my truck at work today the other is when i went to the quicky mart to grab some smokes. Witch i did buy just today for 600$.