5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

cam w/o bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Default cam w/o bearings?

I have a 94 5.0 and I want to do heads/cam swap. I cant find a cam bearing tool to save my life... Is it necessary to change the cam bearings when swapping it out of an engine w/ 103,000 miles? Thanks guys!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:41 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Default RE: cam w/o bearings?

Cam bearings are pretty durable...Not a necessity with a cam swap, but a good idea on higher mileage motors. The problem with them is you need to disassemble the shortblock. Oh well..stroker time!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:44 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

I have heard of people not changing them out and being absolutely fine...my personal preference is youre there, might as well change them out. i am pretty sure that snap-on and matco have them. i dont know snap-ons part number but matcos is CBT18A. hope this helps you man.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

thanks guys. Why does everyone say to stay away from the alphabet cams? I was going to get edelbrock performer rpm heads, scorpion roller rockers and like an e303 cam. what else should I need to complete the install besides gaskets & head bolts? Thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

a) 99.9% of the time new cam bearings are not needed
b) you would have to drop the trans or pull the motor to change them anyways
c) you dont know what your doing and would probably screw up, causing serious problems once you ran the motor
d) the ford grinds are ok, but thats it.... just OK. find something thats dual pattern, it will help the small *** exhaust ports the ford heads have.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:25 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StrongStang50

thanks guys. Why does everyone say to stay away from the alphabet cams? I was going to get edelbrock performer rpm heads, scorpion roller rockers and like an e303 cam. what else should I need to complete the install besides gaskets & head bolts? Thanks
Bob-
Im in the process of getting all the parts for a H/C swap (already have the intake on).
Youll need new pushrods, an engine overhaul gasket set (Felpro- it has the head gaskets, cam gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, etc).
Youll also need the correct intake gasket if you have an aftermarket one already. If youre keeping the stock one just use the gasket in the Felpro kit. If youre getting a new one it comes with gaskets.
Youll also need hardenedpushrods, thread sealer for the head bolts, and lifters (optional but why not change them?).
I bought Harland Sharp roller rockers because alot of people said they were better than Scorpions and theyre only $15 more.
I ordered everything but the heads from Summit. I got the new AFR heads on ebay.

Im ordering a custom ground cam from FTI. Most people on these sites say the alphabet cams suck and theres much better cams on the market.

Im not changing cam bearings.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

paul, how many miles on your fox? what are you looking at for total cost? are you planning on getting a dyno tune?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

if the car has or had low oil pressure then yes...when you pull the cam take a small bite flash light and look at the cam bearing....if the cam bearing are scorn then you'll get an idea of what the rest of the engine is like
Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

btw you dont need new lifters, roller lifters last practically for ever and when they do get stuck you can actually tear them down and rebuild them. working in a production machine shop we rebuilt every roller lifter that came in and never, ever had problems with them.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

thanks for the help guys. The heads are coming off tomorrow nite. I guess Ill see 1st hand what the cylinder walls look like!

Quick Reply: cam w/o bearings?