5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Who here has done

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Who here has done

tq wrench!..impact for balancer..bottle of w-d 40 good for cleaning also,and mystery oil is amazing..
Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I have never seen nor heard ofa H/C/I swap done properly in 2 hours. You'll need a good assortment of wrenches, sockets, ratchets, a torque wrench, some fluids and lubes, etc.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dubs

when you say it's not hard? How long do you think it will take for an average/non mechanic experience to do this stuff? Tools, I have basic screw drivers, wrenches, what else do you think I will need?

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

Definentally do it your self, don't pay your *** hole mechanic to do that ****. It's not hard, it just takes time and tools.
well it will take you a full weekend, the hardest parts are rusted exhaust studs /bolts, header bolts, air tube in rear of heads, adjusting valve lash.

Youll need a torque wrench, 1/2 socket 1/2 drive either 12 point or 6 point. big socket to turn crank and breaker bar, i think 23mm or 24mm, axle socket, free to rent at autozone
Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Dubs
2nd Gear Member

It would really take that long? I doubt it...have you done it? Maybe you give me some pointers...Thanks

ORIGINAL: aode06

ORIGINAL: Dubs

Ok guys...my mechanic is not starting to diss me BUT he is starting to not have "time" right now. He says he has a lot of cars, I've noticed he is saying he is doing 347, 351, blowers..blah blah blah...

Well If any of you has been paying attention to my threads I have been getting parts that has just been laying around in my garage! Parts that he has suggested, parts that I know works and especially parts that you guys have mentioned on here....

To make a long story short...IM TIRED OF WAITING! I almost feel like just doing it myself:

1. I get the satisfaction of doing it (but I have no time)
2. I wont have to pay him
3. At least will learn along the process.

What are your thoughts, how difficult is this to do? I'm not very technical savvy....
your mechanic sucks, this can be done in 2 hours with air tools. 3 1/2 without,.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ive done head gaskets... basically same idea, sept i put all the stock **** back on, lol. its not too bad... just lay everything out... and w. bolts... for example the lower intake bolts, i just set them in the manifold on the ground all in place... when u go to put vac lines n **** back on, they tend to fall into place for ya, lol. its not hard man... and ****, just dont be scared to take pics along the way just incase, and if u have questions either post here, or pm me or one of the guys above..
Old 03-21-2007, 12:44 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

I have never seen nor heard ofa H/C/I swap done properly in 2 hours. You'll need a good assortment of wrenches, sockets, ratchets, a torque wrench, some fluids and lubes, etc.
try working on flate rate[:'(], air tools cut time in half I need a compressor at home,
Old 03-21-2007, 12:44 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

my first time took a whole night, but I was cleaning everything as I went
now with air tools it takes me around 4-5 hours, its not that hard, just make sure you use some brake clean on every part so its super clean, and
Old 03-21-2007, 12:45 AM
CarJway
2nd Gear Member

GETA SERVICE BOOK!!! That will give you all the torque specs you need and some books even walk you through it! It's not hard, just time consuming. (I have done plenty of them)

There is more than enough knowledge on this site to help you out.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:46 AM
Dubs
2nd Gear Member

Tools I can get...I have a friend whos got every tool you can think of from snap on. He is a mechanic for a lexus dealer.

But man...I'm not trying to be gay..but i just dont want **** up on my car...lol....

Old 03-21-2007, 12:47 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

and 2 hours? yea, bull shyt...