5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Valve train noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Nike2141

Default Valve train noise

Ok, I have read just about every post about the solution for valve train noise issues, and I still cant figure this thing out. I have a set of AFR 185 heads w/1.60 ford rockers. I checked the push rods and discovered they are the correct length. I also changed the lifters for a brand new set of motorsport lifters. The cam is a launati custom grind fyi. We adjusted the rocker arms exactlyas the tech from Air Flow Research advised. Now I know these heads are going to make a little more noise than a stock set, but this is crazy loud. The pistons are notched for valve clearance so thats not the issue, and the rocker arms are not striking the valve covers. Anyone have any insight on this? Anyone have a set of these 185s with a similar problem? Also the other thing is I noticed a small amount of oil in the throttle body, I had this same issue with my 95gt, but this seems to be a little more oil than before. Any advise would be great.
TY
John
Old 04-23-2007, 11:53 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Valve train noise

new rockers and new lifters will rattle more than stock, as long as you have everything put together right and with the correct parts and lengths you should be okay, mine rattles like hell but i have a full race built engine, if it is going to blow up or mess it up you will know about it pretty quick
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

i have the same problem as the OP. I have edelbrock performer 5.0s w/ 1.60 ford racing RR and brand new ford racing lifters. I have had the valve train apart about 3 times trying to find the problem. the rockers are not hittin my valve covers, the lifters were primed and pumped up, the rocker arms have been tqed down and lock-tighted, the pushrods are the correct length, valve train geometry has been checked, the heads had a valve job on them by my engine builder(i did all the other work my self he has just been my source of knowledge and parts) and I have been getting more noise on my passenger side. I don't know why the one side is louder, the two sides of the valve train are identical.[/align][/align]After the last tear down and re-priming the lifters on the passenger side the noise is now even on both sides and but it is really loud valve train noise....very metalic i would say. this is the first motor i have build. been talking to many other wise people in my area and no one can put their finger on why it is so loud....[/align][/align]help please[/align]
Old 05-06-2008, 11:20 AM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

is there a chance that u can hear some noise, sounds like one rocker or whatever is doing it, under a load at about 1500rpms inside the car?

im trying to figure mine out [sm=headbang.gif]
Old 05-06-2008, 12:16 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

What lifters did you use? Standard Motorsport lifters require .020-.060" clearance. That's 1/4 - 1 full turn on the adjuster nut. But, the Motorsport anti-pump up lifters need .020-.030" pre-load. So only 1/4 turn.

If you have the standard Motorsport lifters, add another 1/2 turn to the adjuster.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:13 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94StinkinLincoln

is there a chance that u can hear some noise, sounds like one rocker or whatever is doing it, under a load at about 1500rpms inside the car?

im trying to figure mine out [sm=headbang.gif]
[/align][/align]i can hear them inside the car, at idle and under accleration(until the exhuast gets too loud) but mine does not sound like one rocker making the noise, it is uniform sounding like it is all of them....[/align][/align][/align]ill try to get a sounds clip/video[/align]
Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM
shaun8850
1st Gear Member

i have TFS heads with stud mounted cran cams 1.6 rocker arms...I also have clicking at idle only when its warm though? If I were to check all the rocker arms and readjust them... how would I go about it, as far as tighting them.. I dont remember the specs I did them years ago.

Should I make sure the valve is closed then tight untill pushrod dont spin then go what 1/4 turn and lock it??? Any input would be great!

Old 05-06-2008, 04:12 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

i adjust mine by making sure the valve is closed, and turning pushrod by hand while slowly tightening the adjuster till i can no longer turn the pushrod then i go an additional 1/2 turn and lock it down. i feel that you will have some noise with full roller aluminum rocker arms. should not be excessive, ive used comp cams pro mag rockers and love em, nice and quiet and dont lose adjustment like my aluminum ones did, seemed like every 6 to 8 months i was readjusting them. the pro mags are chromemoly steel and work extremely well on my cleveand which are known for valvetrain noise.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

wow graveyard thread bringing it back from the dead
Old 05-06-2008, 05:35 PM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

BikeBoy check this out....I had the same issue as it sounds like your are having onmy306 I built a while back. Mine was LOUD as hell like a bunch or rocks in the motor, or if you put on your rockers all less than finger tight and started the motor.....thats the noise mine made sounded like crazy valve train noise all across the board each cylinder every rocker it was nuts...I took to every builder/shop I knew nobody could put a finger on it......and I did all the basics like you...mine was NOT hitting the valve covers....PTV was good....I readjusted the valves four times. 1/4 turn 1/2 turn 3/4 turn 1 full turn....nothing same **** everytime....primed my lifters to all hell....and my motor read GOOD oil psi....but dude the noise NOT normal...people were like rockers are "loud" well I can tell you they are not louder than flowmasters.....is this the issue your having? I got soooo pissed I ended up pulling the motor and its sitting in my garage...that piece of $hit....

Quick Reply: Valve train noise