5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

One step closer to solving the Procharger problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:00 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default One step closer to solving the Procharger problem...

As most of you know (at least those of you who have seen a Procharger) there's a design flaw in the intake that I absolutely hate. The filter / intake sits directly over the driver's side headers and valve covers. As you can imagine, they are drawing in some serious heat in that location. So I have been trying to figure out a way to work around that issue but haven't had much luck up until now.

Here's what it looked like before:
\

And here's what it looks like as of today:

I know it's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. My next step (from here) is to cut out a section so that I can access the driver's side fenderwell. I al then going to try to make some sort of custom box to isolate the filter from the rest of the engine bay, thus making it so that air will be drawn in from the fenderwell area. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. It will basically be setup like some of the CAIs that you see that don't completely place the filter in the fenderwell. Similar to this setup except I would cut a hole leading towards the fenderwell as well.

Like I said, it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than what I had before. That thing was sucking in some REALLY hot air from just above the header. I figured this was better than nothing. Now I just need to spend some time fabricating the isolation box.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:49 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: One step closer to solving the Procharger problem...

Can you tell a difference on how the car performs with the colder intake air. Excellent thought btw, if and when I go with a procharger I am pming you for this fix for sure.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmajikman

Can you tell a difference on how the car performs with the colder intake air. Excellent thought btw, if and when I go with a procharger I am pming you for this fix for sure.
Can't really tell because right now, my fuel presure regualtor is pissing fuel through the diaphram and into the vacuum line which means that I can't really do anything at all with it for now. But I have a kirban adjustable regulator on order that should be here tuedsay. Once I get that, I can get everything dialed in and see how it runs.

I'm hoping to be able to see the difference in the ACT when I datalog it after getting the new regulator installed.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:53 AM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Nice job dude. You'd think they would have thought of that before they mass produced them huh?lol
Old 06-11-2007, 01:07 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Sam, does Anderson offer a power pipe set up for your application. You def have the right idea. My blower sits just as close to the fenderwell as yours does and the clearance on mine is very limited as well. I got rid of the crappy accordian style intake hose my kit came w/ and bought a power pipe. I had to cut some of the fenderwell out for it to fit but the set up is much better.
Before

After

Old 06-11-2007, 01:14 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

No kidding. I don't know why they set it up that way. It basically sucks in hotter air and takes up more space in an already cramped engine bay. I got the idea of which filer to use from kev2369 and then I expanded on the idea to box it in and give it some cooler air from the the fenderwell. But the weekend is over and it's back to work tomorrow so it looks like I won't be making anything this week.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:16 AM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

that engine bay is beautiful
Old 06-11-2007, 01:21 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I thought of doing what you did, but the SN95 doesn't have quite enough clearance between the supercharger and the strut tower. There's about 4 inches between the two, which means it's almost impossible to make the sharp turn into the fenderwell. That leaves me with very few options... either that or I'm just not figuring it out, lol.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:26 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

If I have some time tomorrow, I'll take some measurements of the distance between mine.

To be honest, I feel Procharger leaves a lil bit to be desired w/ their kits. [:@]Don't get me wrong, they perform great, but you have to improvise a lil too much for what you pay. When I saw that intake hose in my kit, (and talk about restrictive) I called them and they said that was all they offered. I think they could shell out a lil more for R&D to alleviate this problem.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:30 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: 85GTsleeper

that engine bay is beautiful
If you're talking about mine, it's not all that, trust me but thanks just the same

Sam, you may find something HERE that may work for ya.

Quick Reply: One step closer to solving the Procharger problem...