5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

89 auto trans slippage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 11:48 PM
FastFox
2nd Gear Member

Default 89 auto trans slippage

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem. My car is a 1989 mustang GT. It has the automatic overdrive transmission. Lately in the mornings when I get up to go to school, it has been acting up. As I drive to school there is a fairly steep hill to go up. At the top of the hill, I have to stop at a stop sign. When I stop, my car slips out of gear and goes into neutral. Then I have to really hit the gas hard for it to go back in gear. I was wondering if maybe it is because I don't usually let the car warm up in the mornings, because my car doesn't do this after it is warmed up. It only happens with a cold engine. I thought maybe I could fix this problem with some anti-slip fluid? I don't know. Please help me soon, this could cause a wreck. lol.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 PM
85mustangGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 89 auto trans slippage

that happened to my friends 88 aod. we put that lucas trans additive in it and it helped alot for like two weeks. but his trans was way worse than your sounds. it did what yours has done, but it would also go to neutral while driving and he had no 3rd or 4th gear. id just say change your fluid and filter and try that lucas stuff.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FastFox

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem. My car is a 1989 mustang GT. It has the automatic overdrive transmission. Lately in the mornings when I get up to go to school, it has been acting up. As I drive to school there is a fairly steep hill to go up. At the top of the hill, I have to stop at a stop sign. When I stop, my car slips out of gear and goes into neutral. Then I have to really hit the gas hard for it to go back in gear. I was wondering if maybe it is because I don't usually let the car warm up in the mornings, because my car doesn't do this after it is warmed up. It only happens with a cold engine. I thought maybe I could fix this problem with some anti-slip fluid? I don't know. Please help me soon, this could cause a wreck. lol.
Thanks
Check the level and condition of your trans fluid. If those seem ok, I'd have to say that your seals have hardened, time for a rebuild.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

as a last resort, dump some brake fluid in your trans. It will help the seals expand. This will probably only work temporarily but I swear I did it to a ford truck I had once and it works for a while longer. just switch to a 5 sp. its not that expensive and its a lot more fun!!
Old 01-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

dont put the brake fluid in it until youve exhausted your other options. And if you do it use a small container of fluid. Like I said though, only do this as a LAST RESORT. You may just need a fluid/filter change.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

Ask around and get a few other opinions on the brake fluid thing, I did it on an old C4 trans., I have never done it to a newer AOD. Just to be safe.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Dan89lx
3rd Gear Member

Roundman, what do you think of this idea?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:53 AM
Panty_Peeler
I ♥ Acer

First of all NEVER put brake fluid in your transmission!Have you guys seen what it does to rubber and the seals?

And second you never use the SNAKE oils like "LUCAS" its garbage you might as well **** in the trans and save your money for the rebuild you definately need.

By the way here is some nice reading material on LUCAS http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Old 01-06-2005, 02:57 AM
ryanb311
2nd Gear Member

i had the same problem with my 93, its a simple problem like a seal or something i dont remember what it was but it cost me like 30 bucks to fix at a tranny shop... just find someoen that knows stangs at a shop somewhere they will know
Old 01-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Panty_Peeler
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ryanb311

i had the same problem with my 93, its a simple problem like a seal or something i dont remember what it was but it cost me like 30 bucks to fix at a tranny shop... just find someoen that knows stangs at a shop somewhere they will know

Its a BRONZE bushing they use but the bad thing about it is once the bushing goes it goes and then you have the shavings that have gone through the tranny and wreaked HAVOC on everything and if youre luck not plugged up the valve body.

My advice to rebuild it.No need to nickle and dime yourself to death.

Quick Reply: 89 auto trans slippage