5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

*Pics Added* Help, Electrical problem in the fuse block!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:02 PM
SweetLou

Default RE: Help, Electrical problem in the fuse block!

Holy Crap!

Yeah, I think I will be calling the dealer to see if the recall has been done on mine!

You ever figure out what caused your fuse block to catch fire?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 PM
NorCal5.0
1st Gear Member

no but im almost positive it was faulty wiring with my heater/blower...

it was either that or my hazards/blinkers because that got melted too but the fuses are right next to each other... so hard to tell those are the only 2 things melted though... i just went to pick and pull and got a new fuse box just trying to figure out how to get the melted one out of there haha...
Old 07-05-2007, 05:51 PM
SweetLou

Well, I called the dealership, they couldn't find anything cuz there system only goes back 10 years. Called the Ford 1 800 number, they said they couldn't see anything, but had me log onto the genuineservice.com website to see if i had a recall, and after entering my vin, i got the msg that "There are no outstanding recalls on my vehicle".

Yet I went to the NHTSA website, and although it is not VIN specific, it shows the recall for my ignition switch. So what should I do, since seeint the smoke coming ut of the steering column? IF I were to print off the NHTSA website one, would they do it then?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:22 AM
NorCal5.0
1st Gear Member

might as well print it out and give it to them... maybe theyll read up on it and check it out just because theyre curious... have you been drivin it since it happened? still got the same problem?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 AM
SweetLou

Pulled apart everything today, and my brother in law found out what was wrong while we were moving stuff around.

You can see how the plug has melted. The white housing area has burnt a little, and the black plug area has melted. Now I just wonder why. This isn't the igniton thing that the recall is about is it? This whole plug setup area is on the underneath side of the key area as you can see. Also I don't want to replace it until I know what is causing it. We pressed in on the plu while it was plugged in, and the blinkers and blower kicked back in.

Here are the pics.
This is the Plug Housing. You can see where it had burnt.

Here is the connector, you can see where a few of the pins melted.

So, can anyone tell me exactly what this is?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:49 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

That, Is the electrical part of the ignition switch. (My post above, #8.)
Usually, a bad connection causes high resistance in the contact areas, they get hot and you see the result. If the plugs seem to still be salvagable, make sure the female parts of the spade connectors are pinched a lil to make good contact. Otherwise you'll be in search of a connector and doing some splicing. You need a new ignition switch (the electrical part) at the very least at this point.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:56 PM
SweetLou

Well that sucks!!!!

Guess I will have to get a new ignition thingy, and head to the junk yard to get another plug. Luckily I know a guy that owns a Mustang and Camero junk yard. Guess I am gona be a splicing and soldiering ****!

Damn You Ford and not wanting to fix my recall!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:50 PM
scrubadubb

wow, i can't believe that didn't blow a fuse. normally if theres enough current to melt plastic it'll blow.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

I would call Ford and talk to them about that. If it is a recall they have to fix it.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:00 AM
NorCal5.0
1st Gear Member

haha same thing happened to me... only my cars older so the fuse box isnt under the dash like your but the same exact problem... it melted but the fuse was in tact... im an apprentice for an electrician and he looked at it and told me that it was the female side of the fuses... just a bad connection to the fuse and it messes everything up

PRO50SC was 100% correct

Quick Reply: *Pics Added* Help, Electrical problem in the fuse block!